Info needed on how to run classic 9 inside OSx

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by samwild, Jan 13, 2005.

1. samwild macrumors newbie

People,
    I am running OSX (10.3.7) and I keep getting a prompt to run certain software in OS9 Classic. I can see an icon for this but my computer keeps telling me that I need to install OS9 or later. Anyone ideas on how I can go about doing that? I can't find OS9 on the web to download (which doesn't surprise me).
    Many thanks, Sam

:confused:

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You need to have a valid OS9 install for Classic to work (as you have discovered). Apple ship OS9 with all new machines for this purpose. Take a look on the restore/install CD/DVDs that came with your Mac.

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Take a look on the CDs that came with your Mac... there should be an 'Additional Software' CD in there somewhere. Run the installer on there and that should install Classic for you.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Of course you'll be much happier in the long run when you upgrade the software to an OSX version ;)

What are you using that is asking for OS9?
    If it is something you use often, you might want to consider the upgrade.

The others are correct... the OS9 install should be on your original install disc.

"People"?? You must be using the term very loosely if you are referring to those of us on this forum!

BTW, welcome to the forums!

Woof, Woof - Dawg
    *only have 1 app that requires OS9 now*

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

OK, OK, I've sent that link to my home computer! :p
    Gotta check it out later.

You know, I used to love text games.
    The ones where you say "N" for north and you move north, you enter rooms and it says "you are entering a room with windows and doors, there is a tablel with cheese on the table."

Back in the day, I was using CompuServe on a 2400 baud modem.
    I ran up quite a bill playing a haunted house game!

Woof, Woof - Dawg

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Used to play a lot of Master of Orion.

That is before I ran Delocalizer and broke Classic (used to have OS 9 in Norwegian, and OS X in English, and just saved the "Norwegian" localization files, forgetting the "no" files). Havn't bothered to do a clean install (or a major reconstruction) just to play MOO, so at the moment I'm without Classic.

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Used to like that Glider game too, with the paper airplane flying room to room with vents and such. Spent hours on that when I should have been working.

As far as I was concerned, if I couldn't play a game with the arrow keys, the programmer was not doing his/her job! No joysticks for me!

Woof, Woof - Dawg