Info on Apple ebay discount?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by kesseldawg, Jan 14, 2004.

1. kesseldawg macrumors newbie

I see someone on ebay is selling information that can supposedly get one brand new Apple computer products at prices that seem to be about $500 less than retail. Anyone know anything about that? They ask $4.95 for the info. Thanks!

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I can tell you how to do it-- Post the same auction on eBay, sell it 100 times, and you'll have $500 towards a new Mac.

seriously tho. scam. obviously.

usually these "info" sales will just tell you to contact companies, claiming to want to review the product, or that you want to test it for some reason. apparently, once upon a time, it actually worked. usually they advertise free stuff, but i'm sure discounted merchandise has a similar angle to it.

paul

3. ectocooler macrumors member

you're probably refering to the developers educational discount which is about 20% rather than 15%. unfortunately the auction never mentions that you need to pay 99$ to join the program, so in other words, it doesnt make sence unless you plan on buying a machine over 2000$. though... it does come with an extra copy of osx 10.3, which i guess you could ebay and get the 100$ back. sounds like more work than its work to me...

4. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

yes, those people are all selling a link to the student developer discount page.

5. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

What about the auctions offering information on where you can buy a 17" powerbook for $300? I know they are some sort of scam also but just curious the nature. (example is ebay item 2780571573).