Info on Copland OS

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by crassusad44, Oct 28, 2002.

1. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

Does anybody know of a good website that discusses Copland (OS 8, before OS 8). I'm trying to look into Copland for nostalgic reasons, in addition to an article I'm writing...

2. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Go to www.lowendmac.com and in the search field type "copland" and you'll get plenty o' results.;)

3. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

I don't if you could ever get a copy of Copland unless it was from a friend. I bet the NDAs from the Copland project are still in place. I would like to see Copland myself. Well, actually I'd like to see every failed Mac OS and I'd also like to see any x86 version of the Mac OS. I imagine if you're in a Macintosh User Group someone there will prolly have a copy of it. I doubt you could ever buy it off ebay. Apple legal will stop that auction pretty fast. I can tell you a little bit about the history of Copland that I know. Copland started off with a BANG. Everyone was excited by what they wanted to with it. Protected memory, stable OS and applications, complete backwards compatibility with programs and a new GUI. Well the programmers at Apple started getting lazy. The Copland development just plain stopped. So no one was programming, no was debugging, no was doing anything at all. So the time came when Apple had to put out a new OS. They had a half-ass OS and then they had OS 7.5. So they quickly put the two together. They gave up on most of the original hopes for Copland but they did keep the GUI. So OS 8 is the hybrid of OS 7.5 and Copland. I hope this helped some.

4. exbox macrumors member

I have a build of Copland that one of my friends let me have. The build number is D11E4. I never did get around to installing, though.

5. exbox macrumors member

forgot to mention that I also have a dev release of Rhapsody. No idea what build it is though. I have yet to install this one also.

6. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

forgive me if everyone knows and I don't, but what's rhapsody? Thanks.

7. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

I believe rhaspody was the code name for OS X. It was the second Mac OS to have unix. The first was a A/UX http://applefritter.com/ui/aux/index.html