Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
yes it is socketed, so you can put in another c2d but only of the same 'family'

Well, you can put a Merom into a machine that had a Yonah chip originally, but that's not to say that the Peryn chips will be pin compatible with Yonah/Merom systems. I've not heard either way.

BTW, anyone hear when Intel is planning on dropping CPU prices for the current batch of CPUs (Meroms in particular)?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Penryn will require at least Socket P for mobile support and some minor voltage changes for LGA775. Xeon is going to require Stoakley-Seaburg.

Well, you can put a Merom into a machine that had a Yonah chip originally, but that's not to say that the Peryn chips will be pin compatible with Yonah/Merom systems. I've not heard either way.

BTW, anyone hear when Intel is planning on dropping CPU prices for the current batch of CPUs (Meroms in particular)?
Santa Rosa will have identical pricing to the current Napa Core 2 processors.

And here is Xeon...

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
Santa Rosa will have identical pricing to the current Napa Core 2 processors.
Santa Rosa is socket P, correct? I would be nice if I could put one of those X7800 Core 2 Extremes in my iMac alas I don't think that will happen.

Is the T7600 the most we can hope for in our current generation iMacs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.