Informal U2 iPod poll

Discussion in 'iPod' started by DTphonehome, Jun 6, 2006.

?

Do you own, or have you ever seen, a U2 iPod?

1. No, never. It is rarer than the extinct dodo bird.

44 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. Yes, I own one

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. Yes, I've seen one in the wild (NOT the Apple Store!)

37 vote(s)
    35.6%
  4. Yes, I've seen them more than once.

19 vote(s)
    18.3%
  1. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

I'd like to see if anyone owns or has seen in the wild a U2 iPod (of any generation). The Apple Store doesn't count!

2. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

my friend has one of the 4G versions. I really like this 5G model, although i really wish they'd leave the signatures out

3. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I know about 3 or 4 people that have the original U2 iPod. I like them, and I would consider getting the new one. I love the new black backing.

4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

my brother has one, and i've seen a couple of them on the metro. i wonder how many of them they've sold, and how many they manufactured but couldn't sell... i'd think you could get a heavily discounted one at some point.

5. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

6. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Like I said in another poll - I've seen quite a few of these (although, I have seen thousands of iPods, and probably only 30 or so of these, so...)

Walking down 16th Street Mall in Denver, for example, everyone has an iPod. You do see quite a few of these black U2 iPods, though.

I saw more of them before the release of the black video iPod. The only strange thing I see now is - before, they had just a white iPod, so the black U2 iPod was hugely different and pretty eye catching.

Now, they already have a black iPod. Adding a red click wheel and some signatures on the back??? I'm not sure if that's sufficient product differentiation. :confused:

7. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Not to disagree with you, but the finish on the back is black aluminum or something like that.

So there is that as well.

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I only saw one and it was at the genius bar getting fixed... so what does that count as.... :rolleyes:

9. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

10. backupdrummer macrumors regular

backupdrummer

11. macten macrumors newbie

Had one...

I got one for Christmas when they first came out. Sold it so I could buy a black 60GB iPod with video.

12. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I saw Steve Jobs pulling 40,000 them out of the dumpster saying "I bet I can re-sell these pieces of junk to the public and market it as a new thing all over again." :).

13. zim macrumors 65816

zim

so this would lead me to believe that there is no new iPod coming out for a while then. guess it is safe for me to buy a new one.

oh.. and i feel that apple should consider giving away iTMS coupons with all iPods. it would be a good way for people to invite people to start using the iTMS and for others that use the iTMS to upgrade.

14. Perks macrumors newbie

Perks

I've seen one a while back, compared to hundreds of iPod 4Gs and minis around college!

The new one's all right; I'd probably not think twice over sandpapering the autographs off the back, mind...

15. JimmyB248 macrumors regular

A friend of mine had one. He went to a posh private school, seemed to me he only got it because it cost more than the original iPod, so gave him an elevated status.

16. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I had one of the old ones, but I sold it because I hated the signatures on the back.

17. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I've never seen one being used "in the wild," but in my time at the Apple Store I saw several of them purchased.

18. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

My friend has one(4G black screen), and a kid on my bus had a 4Gen(Color screen) one. It looks cool, but i need my 20hrs of battery life(not need but want:D )

19. n8person macrumors newbie

n8person

As a fan...

I'll say right off that i'm a big fan... so of course when it first came out a year and a half ago i had to get one...

I use it just like a regular iPod... "In the wild"

It's beautiful.

20. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

ive never seen anyone with one.

When i got my first iPod, the 3rd gen one, people ridiculed me for owning one (for what reason i am still unsure of). Now all the people who mocked me own one for themselves. Of course, they all own the 5th gen ones, so to try to break away from the crowd again, i got the U2 one with the red click-wheel and the sweeeeet black casing :p

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I've yet to see one outside of the walls of an Apple Store.

I thought they were a bad idea the first time around. I thought they were an even crapper idea the second time around (upgrade to color screens). I simply just had to stop and ask "What the **** is Apple thinking?" the third time (5G) around.

22. iShane macrumors 6502a

I always thought the iTMS thing would be a good idea too. what iTMS does do however is give you 5 free songs when you register with them.

23. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I've never seen one. Not even at Apple Centers/Resellers.

24. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

are you sure? how do i "register"? i recently bought a 5G iPod:D
    also, i've seen 1 in the wild, and if i had one, the sigs would be the best part! U2 is amazing, and this is coming out of my 13-year old mouth (actually, hands, but you get the picture...)

25. asxtb macrumors 6502

My girlfriend just bought one. The only reason was she like the red click wheel. The black backing is sweet though. Wish they used that for the regular iPods.

The other day I was at an Apple reseller and saw an original b&w U2 iPod unopened.