Infra-red question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Scribbler, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Scribbler macrumors newbie

I'm getting a Mac mini in the very near future and intend to use it as the hub of my entertainment system. However, because I don't want trailing wires all over my lounge I want a wireless keyboard/mouse combo.

I've seen a few IR keyboards for sale but they all seem to use a PS2 connecter on the receiver instead of USB. As the Mac mini has a built in IR port would I need to use the receiver or would the Mac recognise the keyboard without it?

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

As far as I know the IR port is only for the Front Row remote. Get yourself a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Apple (and many other vendors) make them.

Best wishes

3. Scribbler thread starter macrumors newbie

I want a keyboard with a built-in mouse or trackball or something so I can control the Mac from my sofa. I've seen RF versions but not bluetooth. Plus I'm not rich so I need the cheapest solution really!

4. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

you definitely want BT or an RF solution. infa-red requires line of site to use. which is relativly easy with a remote. you just point it in the direction of the computer and it works. a keyboard on the other hand is much more difficult. while it seems easy to face a computer and type, it is harder than you might expect. lets say you want to use the keyboard from the couch and you put the keyboard on your lap. well, the transmiter might be pointed down due to the angle of your sitting. or something might be locking the transmitter. on the other hand, a BT or RF transmitter can work in any direction, or with most anything blocking it (do not wrap the BT or RF keyboard in aluminum foil, you will then lose use of keyboard until you remove the aluminum foil!) i also haven't seen an infa-red keyboard on the market in a number of years. we used to have some at where i work and they pretty much stunk. the RF keyboards are MUCH better, and i have personally used the apple BT keyboard with my mac mini (which i have set up as a DVR. . . the 'center' of my entertainment and if i ever get a good TV ill hook the mini into that)