Infrared on a Beige G3 Desktop

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by FoxyKaye, Jan 23, 2004.

1. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Hi all,

New user, long-time reader -

Here's one for the collective mind:

I have a Beige G3 A/V desktop running OS X (OS 9 is not installed anymore) with a few hacks here and there, but I was surprised to find out that the A/V card has a connector (J4) for a front control panel that includes IrDA, volume control and a headphone jack.

It so happens I have an old Perfoma 6300CD with this exact front control panel. Has anyone ever tried connecting one of these to the A/V card on a Beige G3? I know that you can buy a USB IrDA adapter, but the thought of also having a volume control and additional headphone jack is tantalizing.

I also know that the A/V card isn't fully supported under X (and goodness knows if anyone out there is aware of something that will let me use its S-Video In under X, please let me know) so perhaps the functionality of its additional connectors is also disabled, but I thought I'd see if anyone has ever tried this hack.

:) Thanks for your thoughts.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Sorry, I've got no suggestions on your query, but this did bring back fond memories of the IR sensor on my old PM6500.

Apparently remote controls were available for them somewhere, but I discovered that it used the same commands as my Sony TV; I could, therefore, use my TV remote control to adjust the volume on my Mac, as well as cause it to shut down with the power button. That was useless, but neat.