Ingmar Bergman dies at 89

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ----Bowie----, Jul 30, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

2. macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

An important figure in cinema sadly gone, but I feel he's lived a long and fruitful life.

3. macrumors 65816

juanm

Paris Hilton loses inheritance thread: 50 posts
    Ingmar Bergman dies thread: 1 post

:rolleyes:

4. macrumors 6502a

Brize

Blimey, Bergman one day and Antonioni the next. Jean-Luc Godard must be casting a few nervous glances over his shoulder right now.

For what it's worth, Fanny and Alexander is just about the most perfect film I've ever seen.

5. macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I absolutely love 'The Seventh Seal'.....as well as 'Wild Strawberries'.

My viewing of his work is very limited but I'd love to see a lot more of it.

6. macrumors 68030

irmongoose

He will be missed.

irmongoose

7. macrumors 6502

8. macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Even though I've only seen a couple of Bergman's early works, he definitely had a great impact on cinema. Maybe not as influential as some others, merely because of his very personal approach to his work, but a genius that inspired many and evoked the human spirit through his films.

I've seen more of Antonioni's oeuvre, and the loss of two giants of the art in such proximity is definitely a clarion call to all of us to attempt a deeper appreciation for their works and for all creative types not to squander any opportunity or spare any portion of their talent in order to portray the intricacies of the human condition.

9. macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

I was sent an email of a report about him dying the morning it happened. I wasn't shocked, but was very glad that I heard earlier that he finally decided to retire a few years before his death, so he could some time enjoying life instead of movies.

three classic movies by him were the seventh seal, wild strawberries, and the magic flute. definitely soul searching movies which left a mark on you.

10. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

He lived a long and fruitful life....RIP to a great film maker.

Bless