Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
yeah, doesn't necessarily mean anything by itself.

People like pointing to stock.... but in reality, people have said the Powerbook stock is low for months now.

arn

FriarTuck

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2003
Chicago area
Like the broken clock and the blind squirrel, we fumble onward week by week, confident that at some point we will be proved EXACTLY RIGHT in predicting new PowerBooks are arriving NEXT WEEK.

Ah, well. Nothing wrong with a little glimmer of hope going into the weekend.

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
*sigh* I'm just sick of waiting!!!! I need it to be released so that I can start lobbying my boyfriend. :)

He doesn't want me to spend the money on it. I've been wearing him down for the last few months, but it would be a lot easier if the machine was actually available. :)

(btw, it's my money I'd be spending, not his!)

Alia

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
I'm getting pessimistic...if Think Secret or eWeek or C|Net don't even have a story on it (like they usually do near these types of things) it may not be for real... :(

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by DHagan4755
I'm getting pessimistic...if Think Secret or eWeek or C|Net don't even have a story on it (like they usually do near these types of things) it may not be for real... :(

I think people still are taking Page 2 rumors too seriously. ;)

And interpret too much into posts like this.

IngramMicro stocks are low: true.

That doesn't necessarily translate into "PowerBooks are definitely coming!"

arn

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
What I think:

<rant>There have been a lot of people waiting for a hell of a long time -- myself included -- for an update to the PB's and not one solid shred of evidence has come forward. You can have all the "stocks are low" and "French and Japenese rumor sites are reporting" all you want. Fact of the matter is the truly credible channels of information have been puckered up tighter than a frog's ass. Those of us waiting are sucking on fumes. Anything. Any word, hint, subtlety, nuance that PowerBooks are indeed on their way. We've been in a desert of rumors. Dry. And any sip or drop of water, we're all over it. (Sorry for the second water reference in this thread). Heaven help the losers, like me and everyone else here, who, on a daily basis patrol forums and rumor sites for any clue on when PowerBook updates are coming! </rant>

LegionCSUF

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2003
Fresno, CA
As has been pointed out elsewhere, the outfitting of Best Buy stores nationwide (over 500 stores in the U.S. + online storefront - stores that were not carrying ANY stock before) with Apple products has unquestionably led to lower stock, regardless of it anything else is up.

Powerbook stock was somewhat low already, and we have to expect it to become VERY low during such a process.

My 12" PB was pushed back an extra week and I thought it was indicative of PB updates, but it finally shipped, and now I'm less "optimistic". Seems to me like they're just genuinely low on stock, and the whole Best Buy thing may well be a key reason why.

miradu

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2003
If you take a look at macprices's 15 inch stock.. less than 25% of retailers have 15 inch powerbooks in stock. If the supply chain is out of stock, and the retailers have sold off what they have, apple isn't giving new powerbooks to anyone. Stock alone isn't a good rumor - 25% of stores not having stock (like the 12 inch) doesn't mean much, but when you have more than 75% of all stores it is very unhealthy for the market.

Apple only stocked about 100 best buy stores with powerbooks. It would be reasonable to say that each store only got 5-10 of each model.. 500-1000 isn't a lot of stock when you sell hundreds of thousands of units a year.

No company would ever let this stock get this low unless they have a reason.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
yadda, yadda, yadda... you can look at stock all you want, but Apple has been shipping at 5-7 days for what seems like the past month or so. the ship times has increased, but low stock reports doesn't mean that Apple won't release new PowerBooks until every last unit is sold out.

sure looking at the stock has it's place, but it's not as big a deal as people like to make out. i'm more interested in the sites that report on actual dates/production/and facts.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
What I think:

<rant>There have been a lot of people waiting for a hell of a long time -- myself included -- for an update to the PB's and not one solid shred of evidence has come forward.... </rant>

Not to put too fine a point on it, but it is your choice to wait. The current PowerBooks are fine machines, and if you need a new PowerBook, then by all means get one now. If you don't need a new PowerBook, but you want to wait for the updated 'Books, then do so and don't blame Apple for your choices. I'm quite sure that Apple is doing their best to get new, updated PowerBooks out as soon as they can.

This may well be legacy Moto issues, so I'd say we can look forward to fewer such problems once the PowerBooks move to the G5 and beyond. Until then, take what's available or wait, just don't whine about it...

P.S. Sorry about my own rant. I just get sick and tired of people whining...

mim

macrumors 6502
What I think:

<rant>There have been a lot of people waiting for a hell of a long time -- myself included -- for an update to the PB's and not one solid shred of evidence has come forward. You can have all the "stocks are low" and "French and Japenese rumor sites are reporting" all you want. Fact of the matter is the truly credible channels of information have been puckered up tighter than a frog's ass. Those of us waiting are sucking on fumes. Anything. Any word, hint, subtlety, nuance that PowerBooks are indeed on their way. We've been in a desert of rumors. Dry. And any sip or drop of water, we're all over it. (Sorry for the second water reference in this thread). Heaven help the losers, like me and everyone else here, who, on a daily basis patrol forums and rumor sites for any clue on when PowerBook updates are coming! </rant>

What! Don't you know?! They're coming on not necessarily this Tuesday!!

And those water references washed straight over me.

mxpiazza

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
cleveland, oh
yeah... like many of you, i am so sick of hearing this. on 6/23, i called in sick to work, and parked my butt in front of the macrumors moderated irc chat hoping for the announcement of new powerbooks. instead, i fell in love with the g5, slept on the buy-or-wait decision for a night, and ordered the g5 the next day. as happy as i am to be the proud owner of a dual g5 shipping in now officially less than 2 weeks, i still lust for that portability, and wish that apple would be more forthcoming with their timetable for updates. my friend just bought a 12" pb two weeks ago, against my advisment, just because school for him starts the monday after this upcoming one and he needed a computer. you would think apple would want to announce the new books in time for school, but i'm sure the education crowd just cleared out the channel in time for the new books to come in... which is good for apple, but not good for the general masses. i don't know... what i do know is that apple loves keeping their hand so close that they themselves can barely see the cards they hold, and their level of secrecy can just straight up get a consumer ticked off... i mean, i don't have thousands of dollars to spend on a machine that's going to be updated in a couple of days (whatever... 10 day return policy, i know), and i doubt many people do. i realize that the computer world is ever-growing, and computers are 'outdated the second you turn it on'... but you buy a top-of-the-line computer 11 days before the announcement you would have waited for, and see how happy you are, or would be. i don't know why this makes me so mad, because my g5 is coming... but whatever.

i'm going to stop rambling....... now.

go browns.

mxpiazza

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
cleveland, oh
Originally posted by LegionCSUF
Now see, you had me right up until that point.

lol, come on! you're from cali, not pittsburgh, so you can't hate the loveable losers, not until they beat a team of yours in the playoffs... ok, so maybe we'll try this:

go lebron?

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I'm getting pessimistic...... :(

Only now???? What's kept you optimistic for the last four months when there were no PBs in May? No PBs at WWDC? No PBs at MWNY? When there were no PBs after innumerable hints and rumors all over the web, what finally pushed you over the edge? The image I get is of someone dragging themselves across the desert. From time to time they glimpse a vision of a cool oasis with water, palm trees and boxes of new 15" Al PowerBooks. Each time they jump up and race toward the vision only to find it was a mirage. Finally, they start feeling pessimistic that any one of these mirages will prove true. Sigh.

tom.96

Suspended
Jun 13, 2003
Looking at macwarehouse.co.uk, they are out of stock of 15" and 12"s, but they have 180 17" machines in stock! This puzzles me somewhat. Surely if the 12 and 15 are upgraded, then the 17 will have to be at least upgraded to 15 level. If this is the case, and if they are coming soon, then what are they going to do with 180 old 17" powerbooks?

I'm just a bit puzzled as to why they have so many in stock when new models are supposedly imminent!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.