Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danc222

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Hi all,

I have a mac pro running OSX Lion and Server 10.7.1. It is used as a server for 10 staff. The server is accessed by 3 accounts - admin, staff, and staff_special. There are different permissions on different folders on the server. For example, the accounting documents can only be accessed by admin etc.

However, some folders can be read and written by all 3 groups. E.g. we have a folder called 'staff_exchange'. The problem is....when someone, say a staff user, creates a new folder within 'staff_exchange' - other users only READ ONLY access to such folders (sometime, no access at all).

Why does this new folder not inherit the permissions of the root? Is there are way to turn this on automatically. At the moment, I have to manually reset the permissions whenever someone makes a folder. i.e. 12 times per day!

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Need to be very specific and use ACL's set to full control. Read/Write won't cut it. Just make some logical groups and add to ACL list, done.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-20 at 7.58.04 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-09-20 at 7.58.04 PM.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:

danc222

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Many thanks Les,

Forgive my ignorance, but what program is that screencap from? I can't find those options in my version of Server.

Thanks

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Many thanks Les,

Forgive my ignorance, but what program is that screencap from? I can't find those options in my version of Server.

Thanks

Sorry, that's from 10.6, but you can set ACL's in the Server app on 10.7. Concept the same, slightly different UI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.