Initial Internet Connection

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by efoto, Feb 10, 2005.

1. efoto macrumors 68030

Is it a problem if I cannot initially connect my PowerBook to the internet upon first powerup? I have read across multiple threads here that you should charge the battery, then plug in or have wifi access ready, and then startup for the first time because it goes through configuartion applets to setup the *Book.

If I am unable to be hooked into the internet initially is it still ok to startup or would it be smarter to wait until I can get access somewhere?
    Secondly, how/where do you find the MAC address for the network card? I know windows its cmd-> ipconfig /all
    Is there a similar way to find that or is it in the documentation or even on the book?

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

It is quite possible to startup initially without access to the internet. You will likely need to connect at a later time, but I don't think it's an issue.

As for the MAC address - go to System Preferences > Network pane > Ethernet tab. Your MAC address is listed as the Ethernet ID. Similarly for the AirPort card, it's in the AirPort tab > AirPort ID.

3. efoto thread starter macrumors 68030

It won't be a problem to connect later, I just cannot initially because my apt. complex requires registration of the MAC addy prior to allowing access to the internet which means I have to power it on to get that information and then go give that to the office, wait a couple of hours :mad: and then finally get somewhere.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The MAC address should also be printed somewhere. If you are connecting wirelessly then take the Airport Extreme card out (carefully) as the MAC is printed on it. iirc (it's been over a year since I bought my PowerBook) the MAC for the ethernet port is printed on a sticker on the box.

Looking at the box for my new Mac mini (just arrived at work :) ) The Airport, Ethernet and Bluetooth ids are on a sticker on the bottom of the box.

5. efoto thread starter macrumors 68030

Spot on, they are there. I just got back from class so I can finally delve into things and it is all printed on a lable right where you said. Thanks.