Initial Spotlight Search Lags

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GimmeSlack12, Sep 29, 2006.

1. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I don't use Spotlight too much (mainly use Quicksilver) but there are times when the deeper searching of Spotlight is needed. But the first search I do with Spotlight always seems to take a good 5-10 seconds before results show up. After that all searches are nearly instantaneous but that first search that takes a long time really bugs me.

Anyone have this same thing happen and a possible solution? I was looking on Versiontracker for something but didn't see anything that immediately addressed this problem. For Dashboard there is a program that initializes it right away at startup so that it is ready to go anytime afterwards. Anything like that?

(iBook G4, 1.5gb, 10.4.7)

2. theman5725 macrumors 6502

I have something a little similar, but it doesn't take 5-10 seconds.

3. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

I get this too. The first search always takes longer, but subsequent searches are fine. To be honest though, it doesn't really bother me - it is still miles faster than the default search before Tiger and the default search on Windows.

4. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

It bugs me. I think I'll take my Mac back and demand a replacement. :(

5. Simon R. macrumors 6502

lol, you're kidding right? Of course it takes some time to do searches. It has to scan all your files on all your harddrives. But it seems Apple have done some pretty clever indexing to keep search times down.