Ink Jet Printer for a Studio?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by eclipse525, Jul 17, 2005.

1. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

Aug 5, 2003
    USA, New York
    I am putting together a small Graphic Design studio and i'm looking for a good Ink Jet Printer. I am holding off on a color Laser due to cost of toner and the actually printer itself. A Xerox DocuColor 240/250 would be ideal but that will come later. Looking to get exceptional prints at low cost. I have some ideas but would welcome your opinions. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Any thoughts on the "Epson R1800" OR "Canon Pixma iP8500"?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    You'll find that the ink (and paper) for an inkjet costs more than the toner for a colour laser. Yes the laser carts cost $100's but they are good for 3000 - 10000 pages. Inkjet cartridges are good for dozens to hundreds of pages only. Less if you have to clean heads often. Lasers can print on ordinary bright white bond, the best results on inkjets is with specialized papers that are more expensive.

I have an Epson Stylus Photo 2200 - when it's good, it's very very good. Occasionally frustration with drivers that go belly up and with balancing colour.

I have read good things about the 1800 and the Pixma, no direct experience.