Inland Empire

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by leekohler, Jan 27, 2007.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

OK, I saw David Lynch's Inland Empire tonight and I honestly don't know what to think. Laura Dern was amazing and I was captivated by it, but could I tell you what it was about? No, but I have a feeling it's going to give me nightmares for at least a week. It was fascinating and frustrating all at once.

So, who else has seen it and what are your thoughts?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I haven't seen it, but it sounds like pretty much every other David Lynch film. :D

Lethal

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

On one hand you have the relatively linear, albeit including varying amounts of dream-like elements: Eraserhead, Elephant Man, Dune, The Straight Story, Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart... even Fire Walk With Me.

Then there are the Mobius loops: Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive and now Inland Empire... these take a little more time to penetrate and get a grip on.

America's finest living surrealist film-maker. I can't wait to see it. And I expect to be bored, amused, puzzled, amazed and ultimately none the wiser.

No-one can marry picture and sound in the same menacing and murky way as my David... awww. :D

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Mulholland Drive - now there's a movie I'm still scratching my head over. Yes, I get it, I know what it's about and how it works and yes Naomi Watts was hot-as but far out talk about a weird movie.

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes, but this one is by far the strangest and most difficult yet. I've always been able to "get" Lynch. This one left me thinking, "What in the hell did I just see?" That's not necessarily a bad thing, I always love his puzzles.

Just so you know, one friend of mine did leave at about the 2 1/2 hour mark. He said he was bored. THAT made no sense to me. It's a frustrating work, but far from boring. Now that I've had a few hours to think about it, I want to see it again, but I don't know if I can go through that level of intensity real soon either. Ms. blue, you should love it. But be warned, it IS difficult.

And I agree with you, I don't know what I'll do when Mr. Lynch is no longer around to make films. He's one of the few who can get me excited about going to see films. He is the most unique filmmaker we have ever had and there will never be anyone like him again.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't know. I didn't "get" Mulholland Drive. I've only seen it once, and actually, I saw the 2nd half, then the 1st half the next day. I remembered it all well enough to think that it doesn't matter what order I watched it in --- I don't believe I'd understand it even if I saw it all at once. :p

Um.....it was weird, I lost interest, Naomi Watts had lesbian sex, I regained interest, I lost interest again, and then I stopped paying attention completely. :p

EDIT: Just Wiki'd it. Now I don't need to suffer through it again.

7. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

See it again. Mulholland Drive is actually very simple- deceptively so, with a few things thrown in to throw you off the trail.

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Now that I've had a day to process this film, I think it may be one of the most brilliant things I've ever seen. On the advice of some folks in the David Lynch forums, I think I'll be going to see it again before the end of it's run here in Chicago. I just can't resist a Lynch film and all of it's puzzles. :) And I'm told that the second time is much easier.

9. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

OK- I went last night for the second time. It was so much easier to get through and made a lot more sense. GREAT film. It's one of my Lynch favorites for sure. BV, see it a few times. You will LOVE it.

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

David Lynch was here in London 4 days ago at the National Film Theatre doing a presentation of Inland Empire and an interview for the Guardian. I only found out too late to book, dammit.

It opens in the UK in about 3-4 weeks, March 9th according to Wikipedia. I'll be sure to post my review here. ;)

11. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Whatever you do- let it swirl around in your head for a few days. You may find you have no opinion right away like I did. Just let it simmer for a while.

12. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

David Lynch does do some strange stuff. I need to go back and watch Mulholland Drive again.