Innovation......

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Gaz, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Gaz macrumors regular

As it seems hardware innovation is going to remain a mystery for sometime to come, I was wondering where else people would like to see innovation?

I’d most like to see improvements in software. OS X is very good and I keep finding little things everyday which make it excellent on the usability stakes. However there are a few things that could be added. I like the way files can be grouped in Windows XP, it allows you to identify content quickly. Also some of the task based design in XP including Office XP is brilliant.

I heard someone mention resolution independent interfaces before and that would get my vote. Jaguar seems to be heading towards that but I’d love to be able to shrink toolbars and palettes so I can maximise my workspace.

I look forward to your posts.

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I want to see an iNet (web browser), iChat2, and iTransfer (FTP program)

3. ArtMan617 macrumors regular

Like Chaszmyr, I too want iChat 2...hopefully this time, it will be less cartoony (they just need to drop the text bubbles and give us a good IM client! I'd also like to see some form of intercom software that allows you to literally chat with other people on a network (or even on the internet if possible). Speaking of which, does anyone know of any intercom software that will allow me to do what I descibed above?

-ArtMan617

4. sluthy macrumors regular

What I want

I know it's not going to happen, but I want to see iChat use different protocols. I don't know a single person who uses AIM or AOL - they all use MSN (except for the odd ICQ or Yahoo! user). But I realise there's Buckley's chance of M$ allowing Apple to use their protocol.

Also, what I need is:

1. A FastTrack client

Gnutella is crap - slow, unstable, etc. I want something like KaZaa - but please, for the love of all things good, no spyware! :eek:

2. Simple (freeware/shareware) music editing and guitar software

Jasmine and Pedalfects were good for me, but I want to be able to at least save my input without paying someone in America. Plus, they're Classic, which isn't good.

3. MS Access and Visual Basic ported

I know, Buckley's, but I'm sick of using my PC (even though it's faster)

4. An OSX driver for a Canon BJC-3000 :mad:

That hacked driver doesn't work for me. Pretty pathetic of Canon, considering it's physically identical to the (also discontinued - way to go Canon :rolleyes: ) S400.

Then I'm pretty much set!

Can anyone tell me of any solutions?

5. Gaz thread starter macrumors regular

Re: What I want

i'll go further and say what would be nice is to see Visual Studio.net ported - well in truth the editor. Obviously there is little point having a IDE that compiles windows code on a mac but I want to develop web services and asp.net without using the nasty code editor in Dreamweaver MX. I guess what i'm saying is that I want web matrix ported.

it would be nice to have one prog that I can use to edit all code and my fav tool is visual studio.

6. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

C'mon Apple, give us Virtual Desktops in Panther...

7. Gaz thread starter macrumors regular

I was looking at writing some software to do that and I even designed all the objects and how it should work from a usability stand point. I don't rate any of the progs that currently do Virtual Desktops very highly. Maybe I should just implement my design than whinge or send it to Apple not that anyone would listen.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Sluthy:

You won't see Access on Macintosh anytime soon because there was an agreement made a long time ago about FileMaker being Office compatilble rather than porting Access.

I'm sorry to hear about the BJC-3000, it is very tempting. Canon wants the market...they'll figure it out. :)