Inporting Digital still in FCP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by kmaultsby, Oct 5, 2006.

1. kmaultsby macrumors newbie

Newbie with FCP. I was reading the book and was a little unclear on how to inport digital stills in Final Cut Pro. The stills I want to import into FCP is in my I-photo folders. Most of pictures are JPEG and I forgot the resolution but it is over 3200 X 2000 from a 7 Meg pixie camera. Do I need to down size them down to 740 x 480? If so I would have to use Photoshop.

2. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

When you Export that file from iPhoto, you can resize it to 740 x 480. Heck, I even think there is an automatic resize option geared toward outputting to iMovie that may do this one step simpler. Be aware that if your FCP timeline is 16:9, you will need to either adjust the image to compensate for the strech. At this step you may need Photoshop, I can't recall.

3. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

You can also scale the image in FCP's viewer (in the "Motion" tab). If you do plan on having any motion for your stills (such as slowly panning or zooming), I suggest you leave the original image as is and let FCP scale it for each frame.

- Martin

4. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

This is a good idea when you plan on zooming in and/or out on the picture in the video (a la Ken Burns), or magnifiying the image to only show a certain part. Otherwise, if you're simply going to be using it as a static image, export it to proper size.

Depending on the size of the original image, making FCP render it smaller will increase your render time for the entire project... might as well take care of that processing initially.

5. kmaultsby thread starter macrumors newbie

Wait a minute the last two answers contradicts each other. First I want to try the Ken Burns effect by adding movement. My pictures are 3072 X 2304 JPEG format. Do I need to change the image size? Before import them?

6. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Yeah, if you're doing zooming, you're going to want to have the pictures larger than the video frame. Changing the size shouldn't be necessary.

BUT, if the images are to be fully static, and not zoomed-in at all, then export them to fit the video frame. I'm not sure how to make these two any more clear, maybe someone can help me out.