Input Not Supported

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by brsboarder, May 23, 2006.

1. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

I just got a new envision 19in widescreen display. I was attempting to hook it up to an ibook g4, but when I hooked it up, the display had a message that says input not supported. I thought that with the screen hack, I would be fine, so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong, or if its simply not supported. Let me know, thanks. Btw, If I use the hack and put it on mirror displays it works, but everything is stretched and doesn't look at all right

2. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

What display mode are you trying to use the monitor in? "Input Not Supported" means you've configured something incorrectly in terms of resolution or refresh rate.

3. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

i didnt configure anything, i just plugged in the monitor while my computer was turned on, I figure it would do everything by itself, I didn't see an option for the dimensions of my screen though, do I need to download drivers, also, when it said that it didn't show the screen under the list of attached screens in system preferences

4. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

If it works in mirror display mode (which is without the hack), either the hack is bad or not working. Has that iBook ever been connected to another display? It might be trying to run at too high or too low a resolution.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is this a 19" widescreen (I guess, 1680x1050?) or normal aspect ratio (i.e. 1600x1200)?

Sometimes Macs are sensitive to the order in which this is done... how *exactly* did you do it?

Try this order:

1) Make sure the iBook is on and running off the internal display.
    2) Plug the Mini-VGA plug into the iBook.
    3) Plug the VGA cable from the monitor into the mini-VGA adaptor.

When you do this, both screens (internal and external) should flash blue and then the autodection should occur and the external screen should come up. It may come up in mirror mode the first time, in which case you just have to go to preferences while the external display is hooked in and de-select the mirror option.

6. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

trying the things in order of those stated above and its 1440x900 in addition, there was a monitor before this one attached that ran mirrored only

7. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried again, I set the monitor to the correct 1440x900 and as soon as I switched from mirrored it said input not supported again, what can I do?

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So did the monitor mirror before you changed the setting? And erm, what do you mean you set the monitor to 1440x900 and then switched from mirrored to spanning? I think you have to do this in the opposite order -- let it mirror at the internal native resolution (1024x768), and then uncheck mirror, and then it should try to automatically select a resolution for the external monitor, but you should get two separate resolution selection dialogs -- one at the center of each screen. And you only set the one ON the external screen to 1440x900 (cuz, of course, your internal screen can't do that res).

Did you get as far as seeing a separate resolution dialog on each screen? If so, what resolution options do you get on the Envision?

But then your internal screen shouldn't even give you an option above 1024x768....hmmm....

9. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

when it was mirrored, I got two seperate resolutions dialogs, one ontop of another. These were not on seperate screens, simply because it was mirrored. I then set the resolution on the external screen, which was the second dialog box to 1400x900 this then made the image on the external crisp/clear but had a large black border, because I guess it was mirrored. At this point, I then attempted to uncheck the mirror box and when that happaned, the external screen went black and then displayed the dialog I posted. I don't know what else to try. As for the resolutions, correct the first dialog did not go above 1024 and my choices for the external went up to 1400

In addition, i tried reinstalling the screen spanning doctor, so thats not the problem

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmmm...that's really strange.

First, when you are in mirrored mode, you are not supposed to see two resolution dialogs, AFAIK. At least, I am not aware that I ever have.

Second, though, my last order suggestion: Okay, you plug the monitor in, it mirrors, and you go to system preferences and get two resolution dialogs. You then changed the external monitor resolution, and then unclicked the mirror checkbox, and got the error message on the external screen.

Try this instead: Plug the monitor in, and go to system preferences, but unclick the mirror box FIRST, and see if you can get as far as getting it to span, even if the resolution is wrong on the external monitor (e.g. 1024x768 on both screens, but now two separate displays instead of mirror images). If you get that far, then try changing the external resolution *after* you have spanning active.

11. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

could it be that my ibook simply can't support such resolution? 32vram isnt enough?

12. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't think so, but it could be that it doesn't support the specific resolution. But if that were the case, it shouldn't be on the list at all. I just dunno. It's strange. :(

I've done spanning internal + external @ 1280x1024 (Dell 1905FP) on a rev A iBook G4. Technically, that's slightly more pixels than your screen (1280x1024 is just over 1.3 megapixels, and 1440x900 is just under).

14. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

15. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

any more ideas? I don't want to return this monitor, I got a pretty good deal on it