Input wanted, Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Koodauw, May 27, 2004.

1. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    I have decision to make regarding a printer and a wireless router. I really like to print wirelessly. I can't decide between two possible set-ups.

I could A: go with an Apple Airport extreme, and pick up and average everday deskjet. The AE is about 200, and the printer would be around 150 I imagine. so 350 total or so.

Or I could go with option B: A regular router, ( Linksys, Netgear etc) and then pick up a wireless printer. Most Likely the Hp 2510 an all in one printer/scanner/fax with WiFi built in. This set up is about 400.

Cost wise, I am not afraid to spend a bit more if it will make me happier. Option B seems like the better way to go, as I can move the location of the printer alot easier that if I have to the the printer, basestation, and the cable modem connected to the basestation. Also option B gives me a fax machine, which would be very nice for the 3 times a year I need to fax something. Option B would also give me a four port router, versus, the one port on AE.

Although on the other hand, I really like things that look cool, you know the wow factor. That said I really like the look of the AE. But AE, is $200 dollars compared to about $50 for you average 802.11b router. ( I don't need G) that extra 150 would server me well in putting it towards a nice printer.

I really am rather torn as to what I should do. I love to support Apple, and love the looks of AE, but it is darn expensive. I am hoping some of you can weugh in and give me your thoughts. All input is appreciated, except for any check ebay advise. I don't like buying used electronics. Thanks everyone.
  2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2003
    Well, I have some experience here. I just replaced a cheap inkjet printer that I bought so I could get an AE basestation last summer. The printer didn't last that long and the basestation has been somewhat buggy for me. Having said that, I live in a long house and my base station is in one end of it out of necessity. As a result, the base station was almost a necessity for me as I needed to add the external antenna to extend my range. From that point of view, I have not been disappointed. But regardless, buy a nice printer to begin with, you won't be sorry.
  3. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    there is alot more option.

after checking your printer compatibility you could get a usb to ethernet or usb to wifi or 1284 to wifi device. with the usb to ethernet you just need a router or base station, and plug it into the lan port after some small config with the base station. your printer will have to remain connected to your lan. if you do a wireless solution after checking compatibility, that might be even a better way. with that solution you printer would be wireless (not counting power). you can also buy a router with a print server built in. jsut plug in your printer directly in your router :)

this is what you are looking for. this page list all three types. The routers with built in print servers is i think the best option for you imho.

this is the one i own. (HPS12U)
    it allows me to connect two usb printers and on 1284 printer. basically i have a deskjet and laserjet connects to my router. so i can move anywhere in my house with my laptop and print through AppleTalk :). you printers just have to be connected by ethernet cable to your router or switch etc.
  4. BaDBoY macrumors member

Aug 22, 2003
    true with compatibility with printers... i had a canon BJC 6000 and WAS NOT SUPPORTED IN MAC OS X.... but someone made an unofficial driver that actually made it work in mac os x.. but since i have a ABES, ive tried to network it. sadly... because its not fully supported in mac os x, it will not work on a network either. soo i had to buy a new one that was fully compatible. if you have one thats compatible alreay, its all plug and play. easy.
  5. hansenc macrumors 6502

Jun 16, 2004
    Hey i sent you a pm, not sure if you know or not. You posted in my Airport Extreme thread and i wanted to let you know something.
  6. Gherkin macrumors 6502

Apr 9, 2004
    Two things:

1. Why not go for an Airport Express w/ Airtunes?

2. You may not need 802.11g now, but you WILL on your next computer. Why not just plan for the future and get the faster wireless router now?
  7. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

Feb 24, 2003
    Another option

If you are just in it for the wirless printing, get a couple of bluetooth dongles. One for the computer, one for the printer. There are even some printers that come bluetooth ready.
  8. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i agree with this post; i know it may sound go mac go mac go mac
    but this extra future compatibility and expansion into music might be a good plan for the future
  9. winwintoo macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2003
    The Airport Extreme is buggy, the wireless printing with AEBS is buggy, the HP 2510 wireless PSC might be a fine machine, but the ink cartridges are expensive, do your copying at the office, scan your pictures at the mall, and for all the printing you're going to do, buy a $25 Lexmark at Sam's Club and throw it away when it runs out of ink. Oh, and if you ever do want to print anything, reach it down from the top shelf in the hall closet and plug it in.

Ask me how I know all this?? I was printer rich for a while and then I realized what I was spending keeping all that hardware functioning - spending more in ink to keep the heads clean than I ever actually splattered on paper.

But hey it's your money and if you want to look cool...........