Ins and outs of iTMS

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by plutnicki, Sep 12, 2003.

1. plutnicki macrumors regular

I want to start using the iTune Music Store and I'm wondering if there is a FAQ page that sort of list the ins/outs and gotchas of downloading the music from there. For example, Apple's webpage says that you can play the music on 3 computers. But how does that work exactly, I can only copy the tracks 3 times? How is iTunes keeping track? Plus, unlimited single song CD burns and 10 burns of unchanged playlists??

I really only plan on downloading some music to my Powerbook, syncing it with my iPod, although I can see my wife maybe wanting some of the music on her iMac and iPod. Is that possible under these rules and how do I do it?

Thanks,

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

OK, here's what I know.

Music on 3 computers - When you purchase a song from iTMS, your username gets embedded onto the file itself. Obviously, the computer you purchased the music with will be authorized. If your wife wants it on her iMac, you can copy the file onto her Mac and then authorize her Mac to play the song. You'll need to be connected to the Internet so that Apple can authorize her iMac to your username. It's a little confusing, but it's really simple.

You'll be able to copy that track as many times as you want. iTunes doesn't keep track. Apple does from their end.

Unlimited single song burns - Yep, that's true. No problems here.

10 burns of unchanged playlists - this was put in so that people wouldn't be able to set up a pirating scheme. In reality, how many times would you need to burn an album? I'm not sure how they keep track of this, though.

iPod syncing - this is unlimited. So sync as many iPods as you want.

Hope this helps.