Insanely confused with where life is going

Discussion in 'Community' started by furryrabidbunny, Jul 22, 2005.

1. furryrabidbunny macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

Throughout high school I got killer grades and thought that I would go through four or six years of college, get a uber great career and live a rich life. Now, one year of "college" is over and I am about to start another, which I really don't want to do. I ended up going to a community college because it was zero work to go for free. The plan was afterwards to go to ASU. Well, ASU is expensive as hell now, and I still haven't figured out that key question of "what I want to do when I grow up." My main problem isn't motivation, it is need. I don't see myself needed a great career or a bachelors to be happy. I live a simple life, don't need much, don't want much, and I dont ever see that changing. I am one who see no reason to own an expensive car when my civic gets great gas milege and gets me from point a to point b. My question is, what could I really do? The only work experience I have is part time retail and I am going to at least finish community college since it is free. I am at a total crossroads. I have interests, but nothing seems to interest me enough as a career, nor do I think I am skilled enough (photography and computers being my main interest). Does anyone here not drive one of those expensive cars everyone gloats about and live a simple life on their own without a major career?

2. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

You need a careen not a career.Seriously though I,m the sort of person who once they are proficent at something loses all interest in it and starts something else, doing the same thing over and over for decades is my idea of hell.The opportunities out there are almost endless and if being rich isn't the motive,the rewards are terriffic.Go live in some different places,see different cultures and get some real richness in your life.Good luck.

3. mpw Guest

So you don't want a great deal of material things out of life, where's the problem?
    If I didn't need to make as much money as I can (I actually need to make more money than I can :( ) I'd be off traveling the world.
    So what if you're not highly skilled in photography of computers. If you only need to make a little money get a low level job with little responsibility and stress that pays just enough to support you modest life style.

4. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

The thing is I've always wanted to do that. Right now I feel pressure from everyone in my life to go to a university like I need to prove something. I know I am smart. I don't need some expensive a$$ school to prove it to me. I am sorta like you, I loose interest easy. My main problem is that even though I want to live a modest life, something in the back of my mind tells me it isn't enough for some reason. Then the question is also raised about what I could do to earn that modest lifestyle securely? Retail the rest of my life? Hell, that even leads to a rich life. The store manager of where I work just bought a brand spanking new bmw suv with twenty inch rims. My dream secretly, no joke, was and is to have a nice reliable car, a nice computer, a tv, and one bedroom appartment, maybe a condo, and to become a number in some company. Now a days though, it seems like to even to become a number in some corporation you need to have 4 or 6 years of school even though common sense says most chimps could perform the job. Why has such an importance been put of having a bachelors degree??? In ASU (a State university) for a state resident is running around 800 in tution for three credit hours (this info is from a friend that has taken classes there for ages). How can anyone trying to better themselves or attempting to get out of a rough situation afford that? You would need four or five grants to over a semester!

5. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

What requires you to have so much money? (if you don't want to discuss it, it's cool, don't flame me ;) ) I am actually really skilled at photography and computers, I just don't have any training or schooling in them, which means I know absolutely nothing about them as far as employers are concerned.

6. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Haha, I have no idea what I want to do with my life either. I don't think there is a single person out there who knows exactly what they want out of life all the time.

Anyway, if you don't want to get rich, you could always donate the extra money to charities, or do something really nice for the people you care about with all that money you would make.

As for having a secure future: the future is never a certainty. The best thing to do for the future is to be adaptable, and to not be afraid of new things. Don't worry too much about the degree. It's a good idea to get one just for your own personal growth, but I know degreed people who are still looking for work, and people who are college dropouts running their own businesses and being successful. It's about the person, not the credentials.

7. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

In my opinion Education is a vast industry with the goal of making money for the people employed,owning it.It'll teach you the rules in the absurd game called capitalism and not much else.I've had lots of money and no money many times in my life and if you have it or not is pretty irrelevant to how you feel.If you really want an education follow Apples ad think different,live different and solve problems differently.Following the accepted path is a kind of living death.

8. mpw Guest

A wife & kids.

If you're skilled in photography then get some savings together from your retail job for a decent camera, you may already have on by the sound of it, and go travel. Work your way around the world in bars/cafés etc. and take lots of photos when you get back you'll find your experiences count for more than any schooloing could (as far as your quality of life goes, not employment prospects perhaps).
    You may even find your vocation while travelling or have that one great idea that'll make you a million $'s.
    Travel, travel, travel that's my advice. And have fun. The next 10years are going to fly-by what ever you do. Don't borrow any money or you'll find yourself in a place down the road where what you want to do you can't because you have to work to clear debts. Wear sun-screen etc...

9. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

I am taking my first trip without parents in about an hour and a half back to chicago. I am seeing lollapalooza and a cubs game. The wife and kids thing is very understandable. I was just praying you were not one of those people that need to make more and more money so they can pay off their loan on their third benz. I will never be like that. I do have a nice camera, a very nice gift from parents for my 18th birthday and graduation, and I have some nice shots, and I am hoping to add to them during my trip. I am going with someone with a bachelors in sociology and who is workign on one for photography, so hopefully i pickup some tips.

10. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

i completely agree with you. Back in freshmen year of high school, we were told asu would be 1300 tutiton to go full time. Now it is higher than hell, and why, everyone from California is coming here because no matter how expensive ASU of U of A gets, it is still cheaper than any school in California. Even community colleges are getting expensive. For 16 credit hours, tution was 950 dollars. Thats insane.

11. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

If you're going to go to College, go to the most exclusive one you can get in to. Borrow the money if neccesary - I did. Life is short and it's hard to find time to get another degree if later in life, so get it while you're young.

12. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

I've found that you should pursue avenues of employment that best suits your temperament. Not so much your abilities.
    Take a hard look at yourself. What kind of person are you? Can you see yourself working in the grey cubicles of an insurance office? Walking the beat as a cop? Doing monotonous lab work as a scientist? The fast paced world of advertising or media? The solitude of being a truck driver?
    What fits YOU?
    You should also consider what kind of people you are going to be working with. I've had jobs where certain individuals were slowly driving me insane. I think one aspect of a great career/job is looking forward to being around the people you work with. Then work isn't so much work; it's play.
    Anything less would be pure Hell.

13. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

The best advice I can give is don't get caught up in buying expensive things that put you in debt. Being in debt is a huge trap because then you're forced to make a certain amount of money to pay for it. It sounds like you're already on the right track with that though.

When I started college, I didn't know what I wanted to do either... I spent a year at a university, then I got an associates degree in audio engineering somewhere else. A couple of people I went to school with started a business doing web design, and that's what I've been doing for the last 10 years...

Hehe, very true. That sounds like my current situation... plus after 10 years of doing web design, I'm more than burned out on it. :eek:

I've been thinking I should either go back to college, or just get a low paying job at a camera store and learn everything I can about photography as I have a growing interest in it. Or, start my own business creating Mac software (although I still have a long way to go before I could do that).

The good thing is, I live simply and don't have much debt at all... which buys me some freedom, and I CAN make a change when I'm ready to. (which will be very soon ;) )

Some of my friends own houses and expensive cars/boats, and couldn't quit their jobs if they wanted to. Which is fine for them, and I'm happy for them... but I'm finding that at least for me, there are more important things in life than money and material things.

14. rockdog macrumors member

rockdog

In the words of the Oracle at Delphi - Know thyself.

My advise is to spend some time soul searching, traveling ect and figure out what it is that you really have an interest in. Too many times people make career decisions based on money, then wonder why later they feel unfulfilled. Life is too short to be unhappy for 8-10 or more hours of every day (especially if you're only there for the paycheck).

Follow your interests and all the good things like success, happiness and even money will find you. When your doing something you love, you will naturally be more apt to learn ways to do your job better and have a better attitude while doing it, and that makes a big difference.

In my own life I took others advice and got a computer tech degree and then got a job as an intranet designer. I never understood Dilbert comics until I worked here. After eight years of living in cubicle world making good coin it became obvious that if I went to another I.T. meeting and heard about how our departments synergistic paradigm can be a win-win for all if we only could be more proactive in establishing a more communicative mindset blah blah blah, I was going end up on the evening news and my neighbors would say things like "he was a quiet guy who kept to himself.."
    The owner of the company once told us in a meeting - "Work is not suppose to be fun, thats why they call it WORK" - Screw that. :mad:

Long story short, I am back in school to study Ecology, Biology, & Conservation at the U of I, not because it is what the kewl kids do or because its where the money is at, but because its what I really want to do. Yes I am getting in debt with student loans to pay for it but I know its right for me.

Recap: know yourself (which may take some time and thought), follow your interests, maybe it will require school or maybe not depending on what you decide but life is short, so make it a fulfilling one.

15. GanChan macrumors 6502

College can actually be a place where you bump up against new ideas and concepts and people, which can then help you figure out what you want to do.

It's not just about a degree or job training, and it would be terribly wasteful to go into it seeking only those things. It's also about learning stuff that you wouldn't necessarily come up against if you were depending on self-education.

When you're trying to figure out life's questions, it never hurts to keep the mental stimulation coming. And you'll be working jobs anyway, so you'll have that experience too.

If the simple life is really your ultimate goal, there's always the monastery. :eek:

16. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

I just got back from my first trip without parents and it was fun. Not a lot of soul searching, but i did enjoy being in a large city for five days.

17. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Life is a journey, not a destination. If accomplishing just one goal doesn't interest you, pick more than one and try to make them all happen. As vague at that sounds, it is interesting to add some variety. Challenging as well. If working towards one goal leads to another, choose the path that seems most interesting.

Kind of like those pick a path books that were popular in primary school.

18. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'm similiar im some ways to you. In freshman of college, I went in expecting to be successful, go to law school, and make mountains of money as a lawyer. Today? I've sure changed much since then. I've realized what the meaning of life is. I've solved many questions I had. I worked on transforming myself into a minimalist. I've learned that life is what you make of it. I decided that I want my life to be interesting. To be a roller coaster, to have many changes and many experiences. Because when I die, that's it. There's nothing beyond death. I will cease to exist. Think about that, if you are to cease to exist tomorrow, would you be doing this right now?

Where am I right now? I'm in a college that I actually enjoy going, with people I like to be around. But the college is not even close to the top. I could have gone to a Ivy League university if I wanted to. But I rather spend my time in this college. I'm studying philosophy. What kind of job will it give me? Probably not much, but I've learned much about myself and everything else, and I actually look forwards to classes. Not many people have that luxury. I then will go to a decent university for my MBA. Why? Because I decided that the business world has the experiences that I'm looking for. Entreneurship. I'm not in it for the money, I'm in it for the EXPERIENCE of success and failure. And I do not, ever, want to see myself at 30, then at 40, and see the same picture. Never.

Your philosophy of life is probably different. Find it. And you will know exactly what to do.

(And yes, Steve Jobs is a role model for more reasons than being the CEO of Apple to me.)

19. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

After having skimmed over these some 17 posts, I found I'd like to meet each one of you as each post has been so transparent and straight up. There's no silver bullet of advice or a "one size fits all" formula, but one general principle does seem to come close. Strive to leave a legend behind, in other people. The accumulation of things, accomplishments, plaques, trophies, tasks completed, buildings erected, PhD's, projects and resulting weath will pale in the light of having deposited yourself, your vision, character and integrity in to the developing and empowering of others whose lives will rise up to bless you in your later days, should you live long on the earth. Steve Covey's comment is particularly poignant: "I've never heard anyone on their death bed express regret that they didn't spend more time at the office."
    X

20. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah. What's wrong with that?

21. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

To lighten the mood a bit of this thread, and to illustrate the primary differences between men and women, I think a good number of women in today's American society would disagree with...
    :p

22. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Har har, I knew when I was typing that someone'd make a joke about it :p

23. sethypoo macrumors 68000

I'm 20, in college, and I know exactly how you're feeling.

I'm just trying to figure out what I want to do with the major I'm majoring in. I want to get a PhD eventually (or at least I think I do), but I need to decide what I want to do for a living between my Masters and my doctorate.

I just don't know if the direction I'm heading in is the right one. I have goals: I want a family, I want to move back to the small town I was raised in and start my own business, and hopefully make a decent enough living to send my kids to a nice college. Yet, I find myself wondering if this direction is the right one.

I am going to go to my college and take a few career tests to re-evaluate where I am and where I want to go. I'm doing some Western-USA traveling to "broaden my horizons" :rolleyes: (kinda). I taking my time, because I know that the decisions I make now are goin to stay with me for awhile.