insanely great ibooks

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Mord, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    I was just wandering weather i was just lucky or ibooks are this great in gnral

I am in contact with two ibooks one 600mhz cd and one g4 800mhz ibook (my sisters)

both of them have never crashed (requireing a reboot)

both of them last for about 5-6 hours medium brightness no airport.

i have drped mine many a time and it had no affect on my ibook (my sister hasent droped hers)

the gui is smooth and i hardly have to wait for anything.

the fan only comes on when i'm playing games like mohaa or age of mythology

am i just lucky?

ive heard lots of reports of constantly crashing macs
  2. floatingspirit macrumors 6502

Oct 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Sounds like my iBook. I even fell on top of it once when I tumbled from my Mtn Bike. It opened and closed a lot smoother and quieter after that!!

Nah, I think a lot of iBooks came out right! My system has never frozen...
  3. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i would think you are in the silent majority.

most users with problems are more vocal while those who dont have problems just hum along happy that it works.
  4. winwintoo macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2003
    Re: insanely great ibooks

Does an iBook have a fan? Mine doesn't. Maybe that's CD chatter while you're playing a game.

5. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    unless you have a clamshell ibook it has a fan it just never comes on unless you are useing it on a surface like a bed or sofa while playing a 3d game like quake
  6. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Oh yes they have fans, we had to fix one recently that became very noisy! However iBooks seem to fairly reliable machines, however those people who are in the Apple Replacement Program may say otherwise.
  7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    I've only had mine for about 3 months but I love it. Only bought it (G3/900) because I was able to get it for $600, didn't really need it but couldn't pass up that price. Still using a G3 iMac as my main computer but find myself using the iBook more and more. I'm sure it will be virtually inactive once my new G5 iMac comes out.

It's very relaiable and quite capable running Panther. Battery life is good even with full brightness and Airport.

As I'm laid up in bed with a bad back at the moment, an iBook with Airport has been a god send. I rigged up a little stand so I can lie down in the one comfortable position I can find and surf MacRumors and elsewhere. Sure beats daytime (nighttime too) TV.