Insatlling 10.3 over 10.3.8?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bobzilla, Jun 22, 2005.

1. bobzilla macrumors newbie

I started a thread (OS 10.3.8 Startup Problems) in this forum, but I think I've gone as far as I can trying to fix it. I have tryied everything and can't get it to get past the white Apple box on startup.

So...I was wondering if it was possible to load 10.3 back on. The machine also has OS 9.2.2 on it and I don't want to get rid of that.

If it is possible to load 10.3 to replace my "bad" 10.3.8, can I do so without losing all the other applications and stuff? Just load the OS without getting rid of everytthing else?

Thanks...

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You can do an Archive & Install (copying over user apps/settings) to take it back to the version of 10.3 that you have on your Restore Disks. That will keep your applications/user files but replace the System files.

You'll then have to do Software Update to up to date again - which will likely download the Combo updater to 10.3.9. I'm not sure if you'll be able to just get to 10.3.8 unless you can download that combo updater on Apple's support site.

Things to be wary of are that your iApps might not work until you get back up to 10.3.8 or later again. Since they're in your Applications folder, they won't revert back to the early versions so if they're looking for something that's only available after 10.3.x, they might not work.

I had a problem that my PB could no longer see my Airport base station since the firmware on the base station had been updated. I plugged in the ethernet connection to get the updates and once they'd run it allw orked again.

3. bobzilla thread starter macrumors newbie

By Restore Discs, do you mean the ones that came with my computer? Those are at 10.0. I was going to just use the 10.3 disc I had bought when I moved up to 10.3. Is that OK to use?

Yes, I just searched the Apple site, and I'll just download the 10.3.9 Combo and update from 10.3 to 10.3.9...hopefully...

Thanks.

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The 10.3 disc should be fine. Just remember to choose 'options' and change it to Archive & Install.

5. bobzilla thread starter macrumors newbie