Insert characters in MS Word without deleting

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dr.Gargoyle, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Dr.Gargoyle macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

This is most likely stupid question, but I am getting crazy here...
    I am working on a Word doc (created on a MS machine) and somehow I have managed to reset Word to delete characters as I insert new text in the document. It is highly annyoing. On windows machines you have a insert button to change this option below F13.
    Can anyone help me set the preferences such that I am able to insert characters without deleting at the same time?

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

So you're using Word for Mac correct?

If you are, in the status bar along the bottom of the document there is a button that says "OVR", click on it to turn overtype off (the gem next to it will no longer be green).

3. Dr.Gargoyle thread starter macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

THANKS!!!!!!!!
    You just saved me a couple of thousand hours of therapy. ;)

4. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

No worries. :)

I know how you feel. That is easily one of the most annoying "features" of Word and I get annoyed when I accidentally turn it on.

5. Dr.Gargoyle thread starter macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

again thanks

You have no idea how much time you have saved me. I am writting a referee report to a scientific journal and I have promised the editor that my report would be done by Monday. Since I wasn't able to finish the report at work last week and I do my best to stay away from the department during weekends, I decided to finish it at home.
    I struggled all Saturday trying to fix this annoying problem without any success. I was on there verge to cave in and go to work when I swallowed my pride and submitted my embarrasing problem here. :p

It is the same story every time I have to use any of MS insane apps. I just know I am in deep trouble when I have to regress back to the domain of MS. I just wish Apple could come up with a killer editor (preferably based on LaTex) so I finally could stay away from the domains of Gates and his hooligans.

6. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Take a look at these two packages as a substitute.

The first, that I use, is Neo Office http://www.neooffice.org that runs native on the Intel Mac.

I had previously tried Open Office http://www.openoffice.org and it runs under X11. I found better performance under Neo Office.

And - you don't have to wait till next year - maybe - for an update!!!