Insert Link is Missing a Step

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Cooknn, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Used to be when I wanted to insert a link I could add the text then the URL. Now the process just adds the URL to the text, forcing us to manually edit out the URL text in favor of our own. Example link the old way, and the new way http://www.macbytes.com. Can you please turn the switch back on to allow us to add text to our links without editing? Thanks.

2. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Are you using Safari?

As far as I know, this is a bug in the interaction between Safari & MR. I use IE6 on Windows at work, and the process works fine, but at home on Safari, it doesn't & I have to manually type the link as you describe above.

3. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

in firefox, it only prompts for the url, but then leaves the text field highlighted so you just have to type it in without having to find the text first. is this how it works in safari? i must say, i prefer the old way.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Exactly the same for me. IE at work, Safari at home — identical behaviour.

Changed with the recent forum upgrade — ironic that it's the standard Apple browser that has some quirks when viewing these forums in particular.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, Safari can be pretty frustrating around here. But it's just so damn pretty, I have to forgive it. :eek:

That Firefox technique sounds ideal. I think that's the first time I've ever praised a Mozilla product. I feel so dirty.

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I don't use the buttons often as I prefer to type out vB codes. Everything is typed out, aka [url=http://www.blahblah.com]Linkety[/url], to get the proper linkages. I've found this way a little easier, if not downright pleasant. Since I use Safari, the 3.5 upgrade has changed the behavior.

It's no more effort from entering into a box or editing inside the reply box.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

7. Cooknn thread starter macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I prefer to add the text via dialog box as it was before - rather than have to delete duplicate text from the URL tag which can get confusing late at night after a glass of wine ;) I just tested it in IE and Firefox on a Windows box. Both browsers highlighted the text. That would be acceptable if it worked in Safari I guess...