insomniMac goes clunk clunk clunk...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by RooBen, Mar 3, 2003.

1. RooBen macrumors newbie

My iMac won't sleep...

The problem:

When attempting to sleep my iMac (400mhz, slot-loading, Summer 2000) goes through the motions then starts "clunking" - clunk clunk clunk. The power light goes orange and I can hear the HD - (spin down... CLUNK... spin up... repeat in approximately 1-2 second intervals). The problem appeared after I replaced the internal drive (10 GB) with a larger drive (Western Digital 120GB 7200). I have read some people facing similar situation but I have yet to find a resolution.
    I used Carbon Copy Cloner to transfer the files from the old drive to the new one through FireWire Target Disk Mode using my brothers iMac DVSE. Everything seemed to be perfect...
    I am currently running 10.2.4.

Possible resolutions:

1. Change the some of the sleep settings to "Never" or have the drive not spin down when ever it can.

2. Try the alternate jumper settings on the HD. It is currently set as Master but I remember seeing that there was an alternate way of setting the jumpers. (Western Digital Jumper Settings Page)

3. ???

Tanks in advance

2. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

This is usually just a hard drive malfunction or failure.
    I have seen this happen, and the drive ends up to be physically ok. Get a good file system utility, I recommend DiskWarrior for this type of issue. Repair, and see if the clunking noise is gone. You may also just have a bad drive.

3. RooBen thread starter macrumors newbie

I will try that and see what happens. I hope that it is something fixable. It is a new drive (so it should not be a problem returning) and greedy me has already began filling it with all kinds of files (to the point where I feel that I would not be able to back it up back into the 10-gigger.:eek:

4. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

Actually, I just remember an incedent in the past where a customer had the same issue your having, he never had it with his OEM drive, but it crashed or something, and the drive was replaced under applecare. Then the replacement would do this same thing. It was replaced again, with the same problem.... In that case it ended up being the replacement drives had something that didn't like that computer...

Don't mean to complicate things for you, but you might have the same thing going on.

5. RooBen thread starter macrumors newbie

iMac still not sleepy but I was

I changed all the Energy Saver settings I could, trying this and that, but in the end my iMac would not sleep soundly. I had a long day yesterday so I was in no mood to take it apart and mess with the jumper settings.
    Thanks for the heads up that it might be the mac that is not willing to play with the drive... I hope that that is not the case.
    Tonight I will try the jumper settings.