Install Apps to External HDD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SSpiro, Apr 1, 2007.

1. SSpiro macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

If I have a HDD hooked up via FW, can I install apps to it, knowing that they won't be available when the HDD is not hooked up?

I.e. I want to install my copy of Final Cut Pro suite to an external HDD that will be used just for video editing, which obviously uses a lot of space (FCP takes up 60gb just on its own, if I remember correctly). And when I'm not editing, I'll remove the HDD...

Thoughts?

2. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

Yes, when you are installing select the drive you want to install it to (the external).. obviously you can only run the program when it's hooked up. :)

3. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Yes, But . . .

While you certainly can do it that way, then that should not be the drive you capture video to. In that case you will want a third drive to capture to. As a rule, you should only capture video to a drive that has neither the system nor the application on it. The reason is because you don't want to tax the capturing drive's mechanism with double duty - both writing video files and reading the system and/or application files.

Why don't you want to install FCS on your System startup drive? That would be best.

4. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

I didn't really think of that...

Well, I'll just install FCS to the main drive, and then use the external for the video capture..