Install iLife 05 from OS X install disks?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Pyro2b, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Pyro2b macrumors newbie

My wife just bought a 12" ibook with iLife '05 preinstalled. I have a 12" powerbook with iLife '04. My question is, could I install iLife '05 on my machine from her OS X install disks, and if so, how would I go about doing it? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Pyro2b

2. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

Yes, it can be done. No, it's not legal.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes it's illegal (the software that comes with a Mac is only licensed to be installed on that computer) but if you want to take the risk then you might be able to use Pacifist to extract the iLife installer.

4. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Wow, sweet app... I had never heard of it, thanks. Awesome way to extract out programs that come on the system discs in case you killed one.

5. Pyro2b thread starter macrumors newbie

unexpectedly quits

Thanks for the info on Pacifier. Very cool app, however when I try to install one of the iLife pkg it quits. Tried it 3 times, and got the same results each time. Looks like I will be buying iLife after all. No big deal, I was just hoping for an easy solution, not trying to get around paying for it.

Pyro2b

6. eleveneastgate macrumors 6502

I had a similar problem with an iB. I had to download ALL updates till I got to OS X 10.3.8. After that, iLife '05 installed with no problems... :D

7. john1123 macrumors regular

john1123

i think Apple deserves every cent they charge for their software (except iWork maybe)