Install iMac OS9 on to Older PPC 603e

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by eks1910, Aug 26, 2003.

1. eks1910 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know how to make a OS 9.0.4 Install CD for the "G4 Power Mac" install OS 9 on an older PPC with a 603e processor?

I received an email from a guy that is selling iMac CD's on eBay saying that they will install on any PPC Mac that has a 603 processor or better provided that you follow the instructions he send with the CD.

==============Original message text===============

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 06:10:24 -0700 "USER NAME LEFT BLANK" wrote:
    Yup, I tested it on all of them. I used to work for a shop that services these Macs. There is a procedure for transferring the OS to the macs without using the install script on the CD and it is all laid out on the instructions that I provide. Not very many people are aware of this. I do stand behind my claim and I do not do any false advertising.

2. JackRipper macrumors regular

Interesting, I had no problems at all installing 9.1 on a Performa 6400CD (PPC 603e) with the install disk that came with X. I can't believe 9.0.4 would be more strict.

Scam maybe?

3. cubist macrumors 68020

The Mac OS 9 that came with X is a generic version with all the enablers. The disks that came with computers (the topic says iMac but the message says Power Mac) have installer code which checks the version, and sometimes doesn't have the enablers for other versions.

Sounds like this guy has a script which bypasses the installer on the CD. Note that it won't work with machines older than 603 processors (such as 8100s, etc.).

Not a scam. But if you don't feel like going through the steps involved, you might look for a generic disk with a newer version. MacResQ had some CDs relatively inexpensive, I think.

4. eks1910 thread starter macrumors newbie

corrections to Install iMac OS9 on PPC 603e

I'm sorry I made a mistake, the guy on eBay is selling an original iMac OS 9 install CD and says he has a method to make it work on all PPC. I have an original OS 9.0.4 install CD that is for "G4 PowerMac", and I have tried it and it is hardware specific. The guy selling the iMac CD will only sell me the instructions with the iMac CD, which I don't need.

5. ibjoshua macrumors 6502a

ibjoshua

Check out xlr8yourmac they have articles for patching/hacking install discs. For example there is one for installing
    9.2 on 'unsupported' PPC macs

I have personally used their instructions for modifying an OS X install cd so that it would load onto my old S900 (604e) clone.

Good luck

i_b_joshua