Install Linux on iPod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Nermal, May 29, 2005.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Is it possible to install Linux onto an iPod without screwing it up? I know that you can install OS X to one, then boot your Mac from it, but can the same be done with Linux? I'm concerned that formatting it with ext3 will wipe some critical files, or is the iPod Restore app able to fix this?

Please note that I'm not trying to install that version of Linux that runs on an iPod - I'm just trying to use it as a FireWire HD that I can boot Linux from.

2. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Theres always iPod's Restore function/reset function if anything screws up badly...

I would never do it though.

3. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

In any case remember that an ipod's hardrive is not designed for the save level of activity or cycles as a normal hardrive, so using it like it for too long can't be good for it.

also check this http://ipodlinuxinstl.sourceforge.net/

4. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

That looks extremely cool...if I had one of those iPods I would try that!

5. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

6. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It turns out that I don't really need this anymore. The app I was hoping to run won't work on PowerPC :(

7. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

ipodlinux is actually pretty cool. used to have it before i formatted my iPod recently. it's got a nice bootloader, and some cool apps--a calculator and some great games. unfortunately it doesn't play music all that well :rolleyes: oh well, guess thats why there's a bootloader.