Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kitsune_akki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
United Kingdom
Hoping I found the correct spot in the Forum,

Would anyone have a solution on how to install and get Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard running on the latest 2012 Mac Mini ?:confused:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Won't work, Snow Leopard does not have the Ivy Bridge kexts needed to run. That is SL has not been updated with the new chip sets to work.

People have tried unsuccessfully to hack or modify 10.6 to run on the new ivy bridge based MBPs so the mini is in the same boat

Reactions: MBAir2010

kitsune_akki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
United Kingdom
Won't work, Snow Leopard does not have the Ivy Bridge kexts needed to run. That is SL has not been updated with the new chip sets to work.

People have tried unsuccessfully to hack or modify 10.6 to run on the new ivy bridge based MBPs so the mini is in the same boat

Hmmmm I thought as much....
as we have been trying in vain in the office cloning with ccc and clonezilla. Modding and copying kexts. refit, empire efi. cloning my mac mini with snowy to the mac mini. NOTHING.

Thanks for confirming though - thought I was not smart enough to grasp it

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Yup… Won't work. Can't even install the 10.8.2 version downloaded from the App Store so go figure...

kitsune_akki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
United Kingdom
This *might* be adaptable but I really have no idea whether it's possible or not.

Yes it was possible! It worked up until the point I tried to install MultiBeast's Network Drivers - then - the black multi-language screen of death telling you to reboot... :eek:

Well, for one... it worked installing etc, had to boot using the iBoot Ivy Bridge Disc.
Installing 10.6.8 worked.
Everything installed fine, till I tried the selection to install all drivers because I got tired rebooting (every boot required the iBoot) after every single one by one driver install... time is running out so we binned it.

But I think if I had more time to play with the Mac Mini, I could find a way to use the 10.7 or 10.8 Kext Drivers on 10.6

Last edited:

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Yes it was possible! It worked up until the point I tried to install MultiBeast's Network Drivers - then - the black multi-language screen of death telling you to reboot... :eek:

Well, for one... it worked installing etc, had to boot using the iBoot Ivy Bridge Disc.
Installing 10.6.8 worked.
Everything installed fine, till I tried the selection to install all drivers because I got tired rebooting (every boot required the iBoot) after every single one by one driver install... time is running out so we binned it.

But I think if I had more time to play with the Mac Mini, I could find a way to use the 10.7 or 10.8 Kext Drivers on 10.6

You can install Snow Leopard on VMware Fusion. Maybe that would be a solution?

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I got Snow Leopard booting on a Late 2012 Ivy Bridge Retina (!) MacBook Pro using just the patched kernel from the iBoot Ivy Bridge package. But that's about it. Virtually nothing works. I wouldn’t call this a success.

img_0053-jpeg.1902421

Last edited:

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
I got Snow Leopard booting on a Late 2012 Ivy Bridge Retina (!) MacBook Pro using just the patched kernel from the iBoot Ivy Bridge package. But that's about it. Virtually nothing works. I wouldn’t call this a success.

img_0053-jpeg.1902421

Oh okay, that’s useful to know. Have you seen this thread? The last comment: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/installing-snow-leopard-on-2012-ivy-bridge-macbook-air.173641/

Then, I downloaded a patched mach_kernel and copied to the root of my USB installer. I then rebooted into the installer and went let it install like normal. Finally, after the installer had finished (but before it could reboot) I used the terminal to copy mach_kernel from the root of my install USB to the root of newly-installed-to Snow Leopard partition.

I am not sure how to do that correctly though. In particular, what should I do with iBoot Ivy Bridge? When I mount it, there are two folders, usr and Extras. 10.6 installer also has usr folder. If I copy files from iBoot Ivy Bridge to respective locations (without overwriting anything), it does not work.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
In particular, what should I do with iBoot Ivy Bridge? When I mount it, there are two folders, usr and Extras.
There's also a hidden disk image named Preboot.dmg IIRC. Mount this one and then search through the folders until you find the mach_kernel file (I don't have the image anymore and don't remember the exact path, sorry...). Replace the original Snow Leopard mach_kernel file with this one. That's all I had to do to get an installed copy of 10.6.8 to boot on Ivy Bridge.

Reactions: barracuda156

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
There's also a hidden disk image named Preboot.dmg IIRC. Mount this one and then search through the folders until you find the mach_kernel file (I don't have the image anymore and don't remember the exact path, sorry...). Replace the original Snow Leopard mach_kernel file with this one. That's all I had to do to get an installed copy of 10.6.8 to boot on Ivy Bridge.

Ah, installed one. I don’t have installed one, I just got an installer image.
But I will try to find a pre-installed dmg of the system then.

Reactions: Amethyst1

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
It’s still worth trying with an installer. The kernel is the crucial thing in getting Snow Leopard to boot on Ivy Bridge.

It actually seems to work. Some Apple apps fail though: iTunes does not start, Preview crashes, Image Capture works, but with bugs. Feels like 10.6 PowerPC LOL

But I don't care about all these, the only important part is compilation, and well, Xcode installs and apparently works, BBEdit works, command line works, I have just built Macports from source and installed a couple of ports.

Blutooth keyboard and Magic mouse work, but no touch scrolling. AirPort works. Arctic Fox browser works. Not too bad!

Attachments

• IMG_0776.JPG
    IMG_0776.JPG
    952 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: Amethyst1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.