Install Mac OSX on a new MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by evisa, Oct 27, 2006.

1. evisa macrumors member

I'm sure this sounds like a really dumb question, but I'm new to Mac, and I was wondering: do I have to use the two discs to install on my new MBP, or is Mac OSX already installed onto it? I was thinking the latter, but then... why would they include it in the package?

2. vi2867 macrumors 6502

vi2867

Open up your box and plug it in, and your ready to go...

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

The operating system and bundled applications are already installed. The discs are there for recovery purposes, i.e., if you need to reinstall the operating system.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

OS X comes pre-installed, so you don't need to do anything to get up and running. Some people like to reinstall from the discs right away to make the OS a bit more lean, but it's not really necessary, particularly for less-experienced folks who should probably have a look at most things that come with the Mac.

In addition to providing you with a way to reinstall your system should ever run into serious problems (or just want to have a clean slate at some point), there is also optional software on the discs that doesn't get pre-installed.

5. vi2867 macrumors 6502

vi2867

They include the discs in case you need to re-install OS X or make repairs to the system...:)

6. evisa thread starter macrumors member

7. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

You can reinstall OSX if you want to...

I did and got rid of the things that I didn't want, saved some HD space.

Might not seem like a lot of space now but in a year or two or three it might make a difference and doing a reinstall then will be a bigger pain.

8. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Its simply a matter of what everyone else has said, but they also have the Apple Hardware Test on them, and (hopefully not) if you ever need to ring AppleCare with a possible hardware defect, they will ask you to run the Apple Hardware Test. For this reason I keep my OS X Install Disks handy (ie, keeping them in the box in my room, and not in the loft or whatever).

9. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Out of curiosity, how were you posting on the forums? Were you using the MacBook or some other computer?