Install MS Office on MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Palladium, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Palladium macrumors member

Sorry if this is a rehash but I can't find any info by searching for Word or Office. Any answers or pointers appreciated.

I am the proud owner of a 2GHz, 2 GByte white MacBook (3 days). I've just bought (legitimately) a student/teacher version of MS Office 2004 to replace the Office X I had on my previous iBook. I've installed it on the MacBook. The installation seemed to go fine, icons were placed in the Dock but nothing would launch either by clicking on the icon in the Dock or on any of the programs in a finder window. What can I do?

Thanks

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

First step
    Go to Disk Utility in Applications: Utilities and run a Repair Permissions

Then report whit it behaves like.

3. DSL Steve macrumors member

Shot in the dark here but did you first activate then uninstall (drag to trash) MS Office 2004 Test Drive that came with the MacBook? I'm not sure its necessary but that's what I did on my PowerBook when it was new and MS Office works fine.

And perform the permissions repair as suggested using the Disk Utility in the Utilities folder.

4. Palladium thread starter macrumors member

Problem solved - thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick responses. I did a custom installation of Office using the installer program and left some bits out, e.g. Entourage as I think I am unlikely to use it. In a pique when things didn't work, I "threw" the Office folder into trash and deleted it so I wasn't able to do as advised. I did however repair disk permissions before going any further but no repairs were reported. Then I simply copied the entire Office folder from the CD to the applications folder and repaired permissions again with the same result. Then I double clicked on Word and the installation began (used same key - got different product id) and this time Word launched (as did Excel when I tried that). Repaired permissions again with still no corrections reported and I am a happy bunny again.

Thanks

5. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

Office works perfectly on all my Intel machines I do not even notice a lag with it.

6. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I heard on the forum Office 2004 with the Intel Mac is slow; but, some other people also commented it runs nicely with the Intel Mac. I am still puzzled which comment would be more accurate.

For installing Office 2004, do you need to go through the activation (like, limiting intallation to a certain # of Mac you own, a la Adobe activation)?

I have Office v. X (older version). As far as the software stability, would it be better to buy a new complete Office 2004 instead of going with "upgrade" version?

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Individual apps are slow to start but once running they are fine. You do need to type in a serial number bit this is not then locked against a specific machine Adobe style.

Office for the Mac used to (and may well still have) a bit of code in it that scanned you local network and prevented you using the same serial number AT THE SAME TIME. You could have Office on your desktop AND laptop (the license specifically mentioned this), but as you have a single license you could only use it on one machine at once.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It doesn't run fast. It doesn't run slow. I think it's running slowly for what it is, but the fast processor you have makes up for it.

The fact that my old 1GHz PowerBook ran Office the same speed, or slightly faster (in terms of UI responsiveness), says a lot about Rosetta and Office. Once it goes universal, I'd buy it. I think it's hogging a lot of my RAM, otherwise.

9. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

It seems I should better stick with PPC until Office's UB version comes out. I don't think MS will release a patch to make the current Office 2004 a UB; instead, I think they will go with the new Office release (ie. no free upgrade to UB version).
    I am right in front of Apple Store now; so, I will check out MB and MBP if I can type messages without "lag" on the screen.

10. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

After I did the upgrade from Office v.X to Office 2004, I still have the Office v.X folder, along with the new folder for Office 2004.

Is it safe to delete Office v.X folder now that I have Office 2004? I used "remove" Office v.X but it did stayed on the same spot.

11. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

From clicking the Word icon, it launches to the template chooser after two bounces in the dock.

I'm an average or slower (about 80 words per minute) typist and there is no lag when typing.

12. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I tried Word 2004 on MBP and MB at the Apple store today. I noticed it takes about 15 seconds or so to launch the app (both MBP and MB). My PBs and iBook launch it in a second or so. I typed some texts with both MBP (15") and MB. I detected slight lag between the key entry and what shows up on the screen. Sometimes, that lag is a little longer (such as when I used "delete key" to delete some text). I know I will get annoyed with typing lag as it slows me down.

I have been itching to get new Intel Mac; but, Office is one of the important apps for me and I am now comfortable waiting till MS brings out the UB Office next year before I purchase next Intel Mac.

Regarding my post on removing old v.X folder, I found out I should have used the "remove" tool which came with Office 2004. So, that took care of that.