Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonasLoaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2003
I did a clean install and it never prompted me to insert disc 3. Is there a reason for this? Also, Panther is running great, but I just noticed that I don't have a copy of AppleWorks. I use Word, but still seems really strange... Any ideas?

jamesatzones

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2003
Seattle
It didn't require it for me either, I think it contains stuff like additional fonts and language settings that normal Mac users would never use from different languages. Where as I never would need Japanese I have visited sites sites that would require those fonts that is why Apple automatically installs them.

pbooktebo

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2003
SF Bay Area
X11 (and maybe more?) on disc 3

X11 is on disc 3. This is a UNIX app a bit like terminal, but for displaying apps that use graphical interfaces (like Open Office).

There may also be more on disc 3, but I know X11 is there (and it's not too large an install, so for those who might want it, go ahead and do it).

I chose to have this installed using the "Archive and Install" option, under the "Applications" option.

Best,

Matt

Note- I've you've already installed Panther, you can always download Apple's latest X11 version from their website

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Yeah, I installed X11 and the additional Epson drivers from disc 3 since I have an older Epson that doesn't have OS X drivers anywhere on the website or with the driver CD so I had to install it from the Panther disc itself. As far as AppleWorks not being installed, if it was a part of your original software bundle, you will have to put in your old restore CD to reinstall it since you did a clean install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.