Install never asked for Disc 3

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by JonasLoaf, Oct 26, 2003.

1. macrumors newbie

Sep 22, 2003
    I did a clean install and it never prompted me to insert disc 3. Is there a reason for this? Also, Panther is running great, but I just noticed that I don't have a copy of AppleWorks. I use Word, but still seems really strange... Any ideas?
  2. macrumors regular

Aug 29, 2003
    It didn't require it for me either, I think it contains stuff like additional fonts and language settings that normal Mac users would never use from different languages. Where as I never would need Japanese I have visited sites sites that would require those fonts that is why Apple automatically installs them.
  3. macrumors member

Aug 12, 2003
    SF Bay Area
    X11 (and maybe more?) on disc 3

X11 is on disc 3. This is a UNIX app a bit like terminal, but for displaying apps that use graphical interfaces (like Open Office).

There may also be more on disc 3, but I know X11 is there (and it's not too large an install, so for those who might want it, go ahead and do it).

I chose to have this installed using the "Archive and Install" option, under the "Applications" option.

Note- I've you've already installed Panther, you can always download Apple's latest X11 version from their website
  4. macrumors 68010

Jul 19, 2002
    down the road, that's where i'll always be
    the additional epson printer drivers are also on disc 3, if you don't select them when installing, it won't need d3
  5. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Jun 23, 2003
    St Augustine, FL
    Yeah, I installed X11 and the additional Epson drivers from disc 3 since I have an older Epson that doesn't have OS X drivers anywhere on the website or with the driver CD so I had to install it from the Panther disc itself. As far as AppleWorks not being installed, if it was a part of your original software bundle, you will have to put in your old restore CD to reinstall it since you did a clean install.