Install OS X in multiple Macs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gameguy3001, Mar 15, 2007.

1. gameguy3001 macrumors member

What would happen if you install a single user retail copy of OS X on to more than one computer on the same network? I know that it is illegal, but just out of curiosity. Would they both work or would you only be able to run one at a time cause they "sense" each other and the second one to boot wouldnt work or get a error?

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i doubt it, if u can install it, it will run, simultaneously on all computers

OS is not suppose to automatically transfer information without owner initiating it, it would be an invasion of privacy. So called, "hidden backdoor".

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Most likely the Moon will explode if you try this.

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

While it's not necessarily illegal, there's nothing stopping you from doing it. They won't sniff each other out, they won't prevent you from using it if one is booted and another isn't.

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

There's no point in getting it. You can install OS X on multiple computers with the disc you purchase. Apple isn't like Microsoft where they'll lock you in.

7. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Er... yeh it is. :rolleyes:

8. gameguy3001 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, I was just curious. Cause I know that there are some programs (QuarkXpress and Photoshop) that do sense if another computer on the network is running the same program with the same license. But I didnt know how it worked with the OS.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yes there is, otherwise you are using it illegally.

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Yes, I know some med softwares doing that, when u bough a package of 5 licenses, and if u open the 6th copy, it will tell you it can't open anything. But I never heard of OSes doing that.

11. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

That's usually done through license servers. Such programs need to get an OK from a license server in your network, which keeps track of how many copies are active at any given time.

12. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Microsoft Office 2004 is also one of them. Found that out back in the day when I had everything pirated. Having gone completely legit does wonders for the soul. (and not using microsoft office helped) :D