Install OS X ... is this = archive and install?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by EMKoper, May 20, 2006.

1. EMKoper macrumors regular

EMKoper

I need to upgrade my 80 gb harddrive on my powermac and would like to do the equivalent of an "archive and install" but onto a larger harddrive...

If I copy my entire home directory to something, clean install OS X, then copy my home directory back from the back-up ... does this effectively do the same thing as the "archive and install" option?

2. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Wouldn't it just be easier to clone the drive via disk utility or Carbon Copy Cloner.

3. EMKoper thread starter macrumors regular

EMKoper

Sounds easier!

Sounds easier, except I don't know how to do that!

I think i can figure out how to do a disk image of the boot drive and I have more than enough room to save it somewhere else, but how do I copy it it a new drive and then make that the "boot drive"? Do I have to copy the disk image and then physically move the drive to the proper location (that is, substitute into the location where the boot drive current is)?

Thanks!

4. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Hook both drives up, boot Mac OS. Open Disk Utility and select the drive you want to write it, open the restore tab then select the disk image you created and then click the restore button.

5. EMKoper thread starter macrumors regular

EMKoper

Seems Easy!

I'll try tomorrow and let you know how it worked out!