Install OS X Mavericks on new hard drive

Discussion in 'OS X' started by SnorriEngen, Jan 17, 2014.

1. SnorriEngen, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014

macrumors newbie

I need help!

I have a macbook pro and a broken hardrive station that I cannot access at all.

How can I install Maverics or any other OS system on a the new HDD i´ve put in?

I have tried with a ”OS X Recovery Disk” that I made from another mac, but it will not install Maverics, witch is the only OS option I get.

The message reads: ”There was a problem during the preperations for intsallation” (roughly translated from Norwegian)

I have also tried with a bootable disc that I have made with a downloaded ”install file” from App Store on another mac. This gives me the message: ”This version of the program might be damaged, or have been manipulated with during download”

Can anyone please help me?

PROBLEM SOLVED: The date was wrong, so i changed it in the Terminal. link to terminal command:
    http://blog.mconserv.net/2013/10/install-os-x-mavericks-application-cant.html

2. macrumors 68040

DeltaMac

Does this help you?
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718?viewlocale=no_NO

The OS X version that you would get through Internet Recovery may be the original system that was installed on your Mac. Whatever was installed can be upgraded, and Mavericks, of course, is a free update to your Mac.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

No, that wont work. Because its a brand new hdd

This is really frustrating! Why is this simple thing so hard do!

4. macrumors 68040

DeltaMac

You should still be able to boot to the internet recovery. That process does not need any hard drive installed, and simply boots to Apple's server for downloading the system. All you need is an internet connection.

Your Mac might be too old for that to work.
    Which Mac model do you have, and how old is it?

Any Mac that came new with OS X 10.7 or newer will work through the internet.

5. SnorriEngen, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014

thread starter macrumors newbie

Its a late 2011.
    This is the options i get:
    Restore from Time Machine
    Install OS S
    Get help on the internett (could this be the right option? what url should i go to?)
    Disk Utility

The internet recovery wont work without OS X Lion or newer on the machine.

im lost...