install OS X on an ipod

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by EK03, Nov 29, 2004.

1. EK03 macrumors member

would it be possible to install OS X on an ipod? Is there a work around to let it install, in the setup disk it says it cannot install on this volume

2. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Have you enabled firewire disk mode on your iPod? I installed 10.3.4 on my 4th gen 40gb iPod, it works but it is a little bit slow.

3. EK03 thread starter macrumors member

wow how did you do that? I actually went into disk utility, blanked it and made a mac os x journalized partition but it said it wouldnt let me install onto it, is there a work around

4. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

he's being sarcastic.

however linux on ipod works i heard...and since you can install pear pc on linux...you could install mac os x on an ipod no?

see that other post about the girl who put os x on her centrino.

5. EK03 thread starter macrumors member

actually guys i got it working.

Instead of blanking it in disk utility and repartitioning, i just blanked it, didnt reformat, went to setup and it let me. It actually runs pretty decent and disk warrior works :)

6. cfd macrumors member

If you boot from the OS X install disc and reformat the iPod in question, unless you quit the installer and reboot, you won't be able to do it. The installer remembers the format of the target disk when it starts up.

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I've made iPods bootable by moving an existing install over with Carbon Copy Cloner.