Install OSX on an xbox!!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by smwatson, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

I saw that months ago (I think it was posted here). I don't think it's a very good idea, since the Xbox is essentially a PC with a Pentium III/Celeron hybrid processor running at 733 MHz, and 64MB RAM. The performance of the emulation on such a PC would be really really bad.

2. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Yea, kinda old news. What I find funny is people talking about putting Linux (or some varation thereof) on a PS3 and considering that really cool.

The original Xbox (not the 360) has been doing that for years already!

3. smwatson thread starter macrumors 6502a

smwatson

4. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    ALthough, I wonder if OS X86 is more compatible? This will definately need investigation!

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

We're not talking about putting Linux on it; we're talking about Sony stating that THEY will install Linux on it and fully support Linux and PS3 homebrew. No hackwork required to put it on, and it's actually supported.

6. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Tiger would break the original XBOX. Jag looks to be putting the hurt on too.

7. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

10 hours for an install!! :eek:

If i did have an xbox this would probably be the last thing i would do. Just does not make sense seeing as there is not nearly enough stuff to make it run decent.

8. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

The PS2 has been doing Linux for year as well. Of course you had to buy the Network adapter, hard drive, extra memory card, optional keyboard/mouse and vga connector, but you could officially run Linux on the PS2

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The network adapter, HD, keyboard, mouse and VGA adapter were bundled with the Linux kit. You just needed the console and memory card.

10. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Would the 360 be able to accomplish this? (w/o emulation, of course)

It is PowerPC based after all...

11. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Unknown at this time, but with a simple question, I think the answer would be simple as well: YES.

Just not sure. We'll have to see if any modders can make it happen. If so, it'd be the fastest Mac ever! :D

Let's hope to see this soon!

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Considering the different design of the processor, and that its not very well suited for running applications and not really that fast, I'd say maybe.

13. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Cant tell if you are being sarcastic, why is everyone saying it will be the fastes mac ever, its got G5s but I HIGHLY doubt it is anywhere near the speed of one on regular computing tasks.

14. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

yeah, I agree, but I still think its gonna be real fast,its 3x3.2GHz... that is a ton of processing power! it's gotta count for something

15. louis_sx macrumors regular

Xbox360 != 3xG5's.

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu/xbox360-2.ars

From page 3:

Not supporting out-of-order execution will make Xenon slow as molasses in January for OS-type stuff. It's great for streaming applications, like video decoding, but it's not good for having to jump around. I bet it would not be the fastest Mac available, not even close.

16. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

That's the specs of the processors? Eck.. Perhaps it would be the 7th fastest Mac ever?

Patmian, I was not being sarcastic. I just dunno if the 360 can handle it, I would guess Yes it would, just not sure how well.