Install Problem with my iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by prostuff1, Feb 18, 2006.

1. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Well, i came home for the weekend and told my parents that i could reinstall the OS for them (i left it a mess when i left for college). So i brought what i needed home and...well... the disks for reinstalling seem to be mess up. I cant see any thing wrong with them but they refuse to work. I was lucky enough to have an old tech teacher that had some more disks but they are 10.3 disk and i want ot put 10.4 back on this thing. Now, i did bring my laptop and it has 10.4 on it. I also have a backup on an external hard drive.

What i was wondering is if i can install 10.4 onto the iMac from the external hard drive??

If i boot from the external and then use SuperDuper ( or something similar...What do you suggest) to copy the external onto the internal would that work??

Please help me out!!

Thanks

2. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

If you clone your PowerBook hard drive to their iMacs hard drive, that should work. I don't know how to do you would do it though.... Just make sure there's nothing on there that you don't want them to see.

But then again, a PowerBooks OS is slightly different then an iMacs. You have different screen resolutions and one has a battery.... You should really instal Tiger from the DVD. But since you can't get one, your screwed! Maybe you should instal Panther....

3. prostuff1 thread starter macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I jsut called apple and they said that it would not work, which i kinda figured would happen. I had an old tech teacher bring me some of the iMac G5 install disks he had but unfortunantly they are panther disks. I as of right now have panther installed and am doing all the updates. nad man these fans are getting annoying!!!

Anyway, i tried to call my local apple reseller cause the apple guy said that if i took my old tiger install DVD's to them they should exchange them for me...but alas i was about 10 min late in calling the store so my mom and dad are going to have to put up with panther for a while. Hope it is only for a week.

Anyone have any other suggestion that would allow me to get tiger back onto this computer tonight??

Thanks