installation hell

Discussion in 'macOS' started by abc123, Aug 25, 2005.

1. abc123 macrumors 6502

installing os x on the replacement hard drive in my powerbook is proving to be more difficult that i originally thought.

i've tried both my powerbook restore disks and my tiger disk and i get the same problem both times. when i get to the "choose destination" stage, there are no choices, even after waiting > 5 minutes (i know sometimes this stage takes a little while). when i run disk utility though, the disk shows up.

would erasing it help or anything? and if so, what should i select the volume format as?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yes, you have to erase (or format) the drive with Disk Utility before you install OSX -- choose HFS+ or Mac OS Extended as your type.

3. belvdr macrumors 601

I can't recall, but you may have to create a partition, prior to formatting. Man, it's been awhile since I've been in that position.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu. Go to the Erase tab and erase the entire disk (use Extended Journalised formatting). You should then be able to install onto it :)

5. abc123 thread starter macrumors 6502

yes that worked fine. i figured that would have been it but i was reluctant to just try incase i messed something up when choosing which format to use.

thanks for the help, its greatly appreciated.