Installation Locations and Movement

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by efoto, Feb 11, 2005.

1. efoto macrumors 68030

Nov 16, 2004
    Cloud 9 (-6)
    This is my first Mac so I have slowly been learning things and am finally starting to move around in OSX with a touch of confidence. I thing I was really wondering about though:

I downloaded Firefox and installed into the Apps folder on my HD. I was just curious if there would be any issues with me moving it into another folder.

Win equivalent for my sake to get my idea across - Install word.exe to C:\Programs....cannot move it to C:\Word\word.exe without reinstalling it, does not automatically run from new drag-n-drop location. Does a Mac function the same way or can I move the program's icon to another place and still have it work fine?
  2. kewpid macrumors regular

Apr 17, 2003
    Yep, the application package can be moved anywhere you want it. But why wouldn't you want to keep Firefox in the Applications folder?
  3. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    Everything in the Application folder with an icon is a folder. If you are using a two button use right click on an icon or use ctrl-click then "Show package content" then you can see the contents of the folder. So you can move the icon (which is a folder) anywhere around and it will work properly.
  4. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    Some Applications expect to be in /Applications

Anything delivered as part of Mac OS X has to be in /Applications or updates will not work correctly.
  5. efoto thread starter macrumors 68030

Nov 16, 2004
    Cloud 9 (-6)
    Alright, so it would not be a good idea to move say iPhoto into the pictures directory (not that I would want this, just ex).

So since this is not windows (loving what I have learned already) I do not have to reinstall it if I choose to move the folder (icon) around?

Thanks again.