Installation Problems

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by bigandyd2007, Jul 14, 2006.

1. bigandyd2007 macrumors newbie

:confused: Hi have just managed to get work to purchase a MacBook (Lucky Me) and have used Bootcamp to install Windows. Durring setup I got an error message and unable to proceed with installation. The Mac locked up and I am now having to install all the Mac software again. I have just realised that my XP installation disc is SP1 (I normally update once installed) Is this the problem? Also on pressing the Apple key it would not give me a boot option, is this because of the failed installation. I have genuine XP install disc and a Toshiba ecovery disc with XP with SP2 from my other laptop (the Mac is replacing this I hope) Is there anyway I can install with SP1 or copy files from a machine with SP2 installed. I already own the software and don't want to purchase any more.

Thanks

Andy

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Search for "slipstream" in this forum. You can make a copy of your disc and add SP2 to it.

B

3. bigandyd2007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Fatal Error

Thanks for your help. I have created a sp2 disc using slipstream and information found at http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

New problem I get a Fatal Error message Manifest Parse Error: Invalid at the top level of the document SXS.DLL syntax error in manifest or policy file

What the hell does this mean and what can I do?:confused:

4. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

If you have access to a PC, you might give NLite a try. Many people have reported success slipstreaming SP2 using this program.

http://www.nliteos.com/

5. bigandyd2007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for help, XP is running very well:) Not able to select boot option on startup despite pressing the Options (Alt Key) I can select boot optionsin preferences though. Anyway round this? Andy

6. iCeQuBe macrumors regular

It should work if you hold down the option key after you hear the startup chime. You don't need bootcamp for that it just works.