Installed DivX 6, now my videos don't have sound!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by satans_banjo, Mar 29, 2006.

1. satans_banjo macrumors regular

Sep 12, 2005
    SE London

I recently installed the DivX 6.0 for Mac codec in order to play a video, but after enjoying that video with full sound, I discovered that none of my other videos played with sound - not only that, but many things. Including but not limited to:
    - Flash-based videos (such as YouTube)
    - Flash-based music on the internet (such as MySpace)
    - All other videos on the internet
    - All other videos on my hard drive (I've tried WMA, RealMedia and Quicktime formats)

Has anyone experienced what I have? And does anyone know how to uninstall this travesty of a codec (it didn't come with an uninstaller)?

I asked customer support but they just answered by saying "Were these videos in the DivX format?" even though I'd asked them how to uninstall it. It's like talking to a politician

PS I've got Mac OS X 10.4.5
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I don't use DivX because I've always found it buggy but maybe just use Spotlight to find everything with DivX in the name and drag them to the Trash. Without emptying, test to see that everything video-wise is still working properly. If you don't have any problems, then Empty the Trash. :)
  3. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    DivX 6 is now at DivX 6.0.2. I have used DivX for a few years now. I have never had a second of trouble with it, except for double-Help menu bug back way back with DivX 5. Even the DivX Fusion beta worked like a charm.
  4. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2003
    ok try this, open up garageband and everything should be groovy again. I had this a while back and it is a really strange bug/thing. I am not saying that this will sort it out, but it just sounds very similar to my problem, so heck give it a go :)
  5. satans_banjo thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 12, 2005
    SE London

You're a legend!

This forum never fails