Installed Flip4Mac, the supposed WMV codec, still won't play WMV files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kntgsp, Feb 22, 2006.

1. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

I installed Flip4Mac and I still can't play WMV files such as movie previews on yahoo.com or things integrated into webpages. I have QuickTime Pro, all latest versions of everything. Thoughts?

2. jsfpa macrumors regular

jsfpa

Are you running it on the Intel Mac? I believe it is not compatible with the Intel yet.

3. kntgsp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea I'm running it on the Intel Mac, and with Safari. Will it not work at all with the Intel Mac or just not with Safari, and only Firefox/Opera/etc.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I think it will work if you are updated to 10.4.5 and set both Safari and Quicktime to "Open Using Rosetta" in their "Get Info" boxes.

Check the discussion forums at www.flip4mac.com.

5. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

This is from flip4mac's website: " There are reports that, with the update to 10.4.5, the installation of Flip4Mac will work on Intel Macs. We are being told that you can force QuickTime to run in Rosetta by clicking the QT icon, Getting Info and checking the "Run in Rosetta" box. Although we have not been able to confirm these reports, it may be worthwhile to try this! "

This statement is dated Feb 17, three days after 10.4.5 release. Despite the ease of the described procedure, they were not able to check it themselves for three days, which leads me to believe that they do not have an intel Mac in their posession. If that's the case, it'll be a long while before an Intel or universal binary is released.

6. keithbennis macrumors regular

keithbennis

i have the same problem, but am running with a powerpc... I don't see this Open Using Rosetta preference anywhere on their get info boxes... am i doing something wrong? right click, get info.. etc

7. Mr Paw macrumors newbie

Works for me...

I had to right click on the QT logo, select "show in finder" and then right click on the small QT logo in finder which brought up the menu allowing one to "get info". From there you just tick the Open in Rosetta box and start the program. Of course it took longer to start but it got the job done reasonably well. It will do until a universal binary version comes out.

8. weckart macrumors 68040

Rosetta translates PPC code on the fly for Intel, allowing PPC compiled software to run on the Intel architecture. So why would you expect to even see this on a PPC system? It is utterly redundant.

Check your Flip4Mac preferences and ensure that all the correct boxes are ticked. Sometimes a reinstall of the codec helps. Remember that not all WMV files can be played - particularly DRMed files running under WMP10 for Windows.