Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
mad jew said:
Is it formatted yet? Do you mean Disk Utility on the OSX can't find it?AER you using it as a start up drive?

well i went to disk utility to formatt it, but it doesn't show up. Its not the start up drive.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If it's a new PowerMac G5, the second HD bay should have worked.

---

It it was an older PowerMac G4, that size drive won't work in anything but the Mirror Drive Door PowerMac -- and it needs to be plugged into the ATA100 bus.

The older PowerMac G4s have a 127GB limit.

If you do have something older that a MDD machine, you'll need an ATA PCI upgrade card -- the MDD will need the drive moved to the ATA100 bus.

Or someone else will have to partition the drive for you.

---

The PowerMac G5, I let someone else help you.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
Sun Baked said:
If it's a new PowerMac G5, the second HD bay should have worked.

---

It it was an older PowerMac G4, that size drive won't work in anything but the Mirror Drive Door PowerMac -- and it needs to be plugged into the ATA100 bus.

The older PowerMac G4s have a 127GB limit.

If you do have something older that a MDD machine, you'll need an ATA PCI upgrade card -- the MDD will need the drive moved to the ATA100 bus.

---

The PowerMac G5, I let someone else help you.

its a new dual core 2.0

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
mashinhead said:
I just bought this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148065 hard drive and put it in the powermac. I conected the power cable and data cable. Removing the data cable ? (the longer one) from the original hard drive and putting it in the new one, because thats the only way it would fit since they're on the same chord. But it doesn't show up. Any Ideas!??
Try removing the pins(Master/Slave) from the back of the HD you just installed.

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
mashinhead said:
I just bought this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148065 hard drive and put it in the powermac. I conected the power cable and data cable. Removing the data cable ? (the longer one) from the original hard drive and putting it in the new one, because thats the only way it would fit since they're on the same chord. But it doesn't show up. Any Ideas!??
Shouldn't there be a cable hidden in there somewhere to install the second drive as opposed to using the cable that was in the original drive? Are you adding a drive or replacing one?

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
the powercables for both drives are on the same cable, thats the one that i installed. And i don't see anything on the pins on either of the HDs that define master vs. slave.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
mashinhead said:
the powercables for both drives are on the same cable, thats the one that i installed. And i don't see anything on the pins on either of the HDs that define master vs. slave.
There aren't any jumpers, on a SATA drive. Each drive has its own cable to the motherboard.
However, you should not have had to remove anything, the machine should have a pair of connectors (data and power) for each drive bay.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
CanadaRAM said:
There isn't, on a SATA drive. Each drive has its own cable to the motherboard.

they each have their own data cable. But the power cables (there are two inputs on the same cord) are on the same thing. Unless i'm completely wrong. But thats all i saw, unless there is another cable at the bottom i don't know about. has anyone who has done this before pulled the cables from the bottom?

GreenDice

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2005
I just installed a second hard drive into my new dual-core 2.3. After installing the power cable to both hard drive, there is another cable tugged under the "b" bay. It is very short and just reach the data connector of the bottom drive. Look carefully you should find the cable just like the top one.

Good luck.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
GreenDice said:
I just installed a second hard drive into my new dual-core 2.3. After installing the power cable to both hard drive, there is another cable tugged under the "b" bay. It is very short and just reach the data connector of the bottom drive. Look carefully you should find the cable just like the top one.

Good luck.

yea i installed that one, but its not working. Is there ANOTHER cable besides those all the way at the bottom? Are your power connectors on the same cable?

BTW what hard drive did you get?

GreenDice

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2005
mashinhead said:
yea i installed that one, but its not working. Is there ANOTHER cable besides those all the way at the bottom? Are your power connectors on the same cable?

BTW what hard drive did you get?

Power cable is connected to both drive. The small connector from the bottom only goes to the bottom drive. It should work.

I brought a Maxtor Maxline III 300GB drive from zipzoomfly. Installed in 10 minutes without problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.