Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Halpern

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
The other day I was installing 512 MB of new RAM on my new PB 12 inch 1.33 ghz, I completely forgot to remove the battery before doing so :( When I turned it back on the only thing that was weird was that the clock set itself to a new date (sometime in 1969). I'm very angry at myself for forgetting to take the battery out, but I was too focused on finding a small enough screw driver to open the latch.

Now my question is would this cause serious harm to my new pb, and is there anyway I could tell if it has?

Thank you in advance,

Kyle

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
I would say you didn't do anything harmful, but shame on you for leaving the battery in. If it was the clock in OSX, I would have to say that you probably didn't do any damage, just a possible glitch due to the new RAM. A way to find out is to run Disk Utility, this will check out most of the OS to make sure its in working order, then you can reboot with the Hardware Test CD that should have come with your PB, hold down C on boot if you didn't know, and run all the tests.

All come up negative, then I would say its in fine working order.

Halpern

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
Thank you very much. I trully feel like an idiot for leaving the battery in, and it has been bothering me since...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.