Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

catrahal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2013
Hi - new to Mac so just learning how to navigate. I have installed Skype, Logmein and Flash. All three have left installer files on the desktop and I can't seem to get rid of them. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Nov 28, 2010
located
Have you installed them properly?

Installing Applications in Mac OS X

Normally you download a DMG (or ZIP) and mount the DMG (which gets visible in Finder's Sidebar and on the Desktop), then drag the application in that DMG to the Applications folder and then eject the DMG.
The above tutorial I linked to has it explained better of course.

Time for a video tutorial I guess.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Those are most likely mounted disk images, your downloads go in your downloads folder, if the settings are set to open them when finished it mounts them on the Desktop, Click on the icon then Command-E, it will eject them.

catrahal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2013
ejecting disk images

Thanks for the tips. I was able to eject and get rid of Flash and Logmein, but Skype seems to persist. When I try to remove or eject it I get a message saying it is in use. I force quit Skype and then was able to remove it but when I reopened Skype it came back. Perhaps I am doing something wrong with the Skype install.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Thanks for the tips. I was able to eject and get rid of Flash and Logmein, but Skype seems to persist. When I try to remove or eject it I get a message saying it is in use. I force quit Skype and then was able to remove it but when I reopened Skype it came back. Perhaps I am doing something wrong with the Skype install.

Seems to me Skype is running from the Disk Image, is it an installer or just an App, if it is an App drag it to the Applications Folder.

catrahal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2013
It does appear to be running from the disk image even though I dragged it to the applications folder. If I close it all down and then reopen Skype, I get a message saying it is downloaded from the Internet and do I still want to use it. When I say yes then it puts that disk image back on the desktop.

How do I get it to run as a simple app?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
It does appear to be running from the disk image even though I dragged it to the applications folder. If I close it all down and then reopen Skype, I get a message saying it is downloaded from the Internet and do I still want to use it. When I say yes then it puts that disk image back on the desktop.

How do I get it to run as a simple app?

How do you open it, do you open it from the Dock, if so that Icon might be pointing to the one in the Disk Image, also, click on Skype's Icon in Application Folder, then get Info on it, Command-I will do this amongst other ways.
Look if it is an Alias(shortcut), if it is you need to copy Skype again to the App folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.