Installer problem

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MacDawg, Mar 20, 2004.

1. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

My problem has changed now, so I am starting a new thread...
    [800MHz 17inch iMac w/ 512 MB RAM]

I did an archive and install from my 10.2 CDs and it corrected my old problems [previous thread of Mac dying]. Now I have a new problem.

I tried to use Software Update from the System Preferences to update from 10.2 to 10.2.8 again (which I had), but the installer FAILS. It prompts me to download the update to the desktop and install from there. I tried and the installer won't work. I have choose to open the file, and then it comes up with a blank shell. The same is true when I try to reinstall my printer drivers from the CD. I repaired the permissions (again), but that didn't help either.

Any suggestions?
    I've been working on this all day, and I'm so close to being back to normal! I just need to get this installer problem licked.

Thanks!

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I would suggest trying to download the 10.2.3 or the 10.2.5 combo from the support site directly. After that, you should be able to download another combo using Software Update.

3. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Thanks for the suggestion... I will try that.
    However, it seems to be a problem with the installer more than with the package itself. It does the same thing with the package when I try to install the Epson printer drivers.

I did a file search to find the installer preferences to trash them, but I couldn't find a pref file for the installer. Any ideas about that?

Thanks.

4. nargot macrumors regular

i had the same problem on my imac, i had to re-format (clean install osx) and the installer/dmg problems ceased. Before that i tried everything, nothing else worked.

5. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Definitely NOT what I wanted to hear! <smile>

Is there any hope out there?

6. nargot macrumors regular

you can try all the things... even tho you probably already have

repair permissions
    diskwarrior, techtools fix etc
    delete the preference files
    i can't remember the rest of the things i tried, but i wasted alot of time

If you can backup you users directory onto external HD, cd and on the internal hard drive. You can clean install osx, transfer you home documents etc back and be running a happy system in about an hour.

Its all about if you have the time to waste to find and fix the corrupt problem...

7. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

I know you are probably right... I'm just not looking forward to the hassle. Right now I am having problems getting a fresh backup of everything. I have a backup, but it isn't the most recent thing... it is all just frustrating. We've all been there when things just don't go right. Arrrrgh

Thanks for the help though... I appreciate it.

8. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Things have gotten worse again, and the installer is not the only problem. My iPod won't show on the desktop anymore, and the updater won't recognize it is connected. That was going to be my backup before a clean install. Now I guess I'll have to go to CDs, but I have no confidence that I will be able to backup that way either.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. If anything else occurs to anyone, please post.

9. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER do an archive&install with Mac OS X! I don't even know why Apple makes this an option. All it does is screw things up. ALWAYS do an erase and install. Then you start out clean, you don't have to worry about conflicting files, or corrupt files, permissions, etc.

If you look back at people who have major problems, the first words out of their mouth is that they did an archive&install. Even with Winblows it screws things up. (Which is normal for them! hehehe)

I would back everything up and do an erase&install. You can do that with your restore cds.

10. nargot macrumors regular

Totally agreed, archive and install screwed me after having problems. I just started fresh, didn't worry bout backing up as any documents were on FW drive. unless you havn't done son by now... gota clean install for the ipod to work (to be sure no more probs)