Installer won't work

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by diordna, Jan 31, 2004.

1. diordna macrumors newbie

Whenever I try to use Installer to install anything, it freezes when you click the Continue button to go to the "Installation Type" screen. This is a new eMac, probably two months old, and Installer has never worked. I had someone send me another copy of the app and it did the same thing.

Does anyone have any kind of clue what could be wrong?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Unfortunately, it's probably a corrupt OS install (and it's something lower-level than the App, so just replacing that didn't fix it). Assuming that is the case (guessing you've tried running Repair Permissions and a disk check from your OS CDs), you're probably going to have to reinstall using the discs that came with the computer (or if you got Panther through Up-To-Date, from that disc). Do an archive and install, and it'll probably be a minimal amount of work to get things back to usual.

One other things to check: Does it happen from another user (create one if there aren't any)? If not, it's a screwed-up preference in your account.

3. diordna thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, I have tried neither of those things. It does happen for the other admin user I just created.

4. diordna thread starter macrumors newbie

I opened Disk Utility, and the little wheel just keeps spinning on into infinity. I'll try running it from the installer disk, or whatever the equivalent is.

5. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Yeah, It definately sounds like you need to re-install Mac OS X. If you do the reinstall and the problem presists then I would try getting a copy of OS X from a friend and try reinstalling again to see if its your copy of OS X. I had a friend who had a bad copy of OS X included with his restore discs. If thats the case call Apple and see if they can give you another copy of the restore CDs.

6. diordna thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, in all that time, I never restarted. I kind of let the problem be temporarily, and had to restart for some reason or other, and now it all works.

*sheepish grin*