Installing 2 Different version of OS X on the same Mac - Help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sequence, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Sequence macrumors member

Hey guys, I'm about to install a second installation of a different version of OS X... I currently have 10.4.7 on my Macbook. What is the best way to install it without touching the 10.4.7 installation? Could I install it on a USB2 External HD or create a second partition on my Macbook HD?
    Thanks.

2. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

You can't install a different version of OS X on an Intel-based Mac, because all of the previous versions were PPC-only and simply cannot run on Intel.

..Unless you're a developer and are installing a Leopard preview... then I can't answer your question. :rolleyes:

3. projectle macrumors 6502

Correct, you can only install one that is completely Universal Binary compatable, meaning OS X 10.4 that shipped with your system, OS X 10.4 Server that has begun shipping in the past couple days, or OS X 10.5 Leopard and it's Server.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Could it be that he wanted to run 10.4.6 and 10.4.7 as different versions?

In which case the most robust way to do things is to install to a bootable external drive (FW is still preferred over USB2).

B

5. ahuman7341 macrumors regular

Download boot camp and use the partitioner to partition your drive then just don't install windows. Go to disk utility format the drive to HFS+ and install your other version of the OS. Using the boot camp partitioner will let you partition the drive without reformatting the whole thing.